LegacyGT.com

Engine ticking

On startup engine is ticking like valve tapping. After a few seconds most of the noise goes away but still theres a bit present. We put new heads on there, new banjo bolts, 5w-30 Castrol syntec oil/napa gold oil filter. Car runs great except for that noise. Of course there's P0011 and P0021 codes but I've changed OCV valves from Fred Beans:confused:

Mine was ticking after I crushed my oil pan and drove it home on a cracked Oil pickup tube. Was told it was a typical noisy Subie valve train even though I knew it was louder after the oil pan.

6 months later I have a bad intake valve #4 and low compression on the same cylinder. I'll find out tomorrow how extensive the damage is and whether I've got a valve job coming or a full motor.

Best of luck with yours. I recommend a leakdown and compression tests if your valve train becomes noisier than ever.

Fair point, while ticking is normal, if it changes in speed/volume/etc, it's a bad sign.

Maybe wasn't so much ticking as knocking?

I'm thinking the same,it had to be MUCH louder then the normal ticking at startup that we are all used to .

Can someone post an HD quality audio recording of a 'normal' ticking from their engine? I am curious to find out what 'normal' ticking sounds like so I can know (kinna) for sure my somewhat quiet but noticeable ticking is also normal. That'd be great.

Can someone post an HD quality audio recording of a 'normal' ticking from their engine? I am curious to find out what 'normal' ticking sounds like so I can know (kinna) for sure my somewhat quiet but noticeable ticking is also normal. That'd be great.

+1! I'd also like to hear!!

JP

great question, someone lets us kno!!!!

Okay first video is a cold start, the car had been sitting for 24+hrs. If anyone is wondering I use Royal Purple 5w-30. I thought I saw an oil debate with noise starting above.

Cold start, high idle conditions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdzG_6e-e8M]YouTube - ‪Legacy GT Engine Start Up High Idle‬‏[/ame]

Standard idle

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kniQ7agYfsA]YouTube - ‪Legacy GT Engine Start Up Standard Idle‬‏[/ame]

[

Rad, I just started researching this myself because it's really starting to bother me. Also seems to be louder after the TBE. Sounds very much like those clips. That makes me less nervous, I wanted to be sure before I bother with a more aggressive tune. Might take it in to the dealer on the way home and just ask them to take a listen anyway.

• 3 months later...

Archived