LegacyGT.com

Blown Turbo......or not?

Few days ago I took my 05 LGT into dealer for my ACC flashing issue. Dealer came back with $1300++ to replace the body control module. I didn't think it was worth it so I just picked the car. On the way to drop it off (at dealer) I heard the turbo making slurping noises. Then is sounds like a whistle. I spoke to dealer about checking into it but when they came back with that stupid repair bill I just got pissed and picked the car up without thinking about the turbo. So today I'm driving to work from dealer and the turbo is making a crackling noise, then a spitting noise. This only occurs with acceleration. Still had boost. 5 miles later the noise stops and the boast is now gone. Got a few turbo guys at work checked it out for me and think maybe the down pipe cat blew chunks into my turbo and has it seized. No oil anywhere in the area and a faint smell of something burning, but only after I attempted to show them I had no boost. Did get a P0011 code 1 week ago. Oil was pretty low, lost track of the change interval. Anyway added oil and reset code that day and no noise until I drove it into the dealer as mentioned above.

Any thoughts? Blown or repairable?.....:confused:

p0011 = the turbo was blown a week ago. Definitely shouldn't have been driven after that - hopefully pieces of turbo did not get to your engine block... Have them pull the turbo and drain the oil, looking for metal shards.

oh, and pray. a lot.

That code did pop the first time I heard the slurping noise. It only happened for a quickl second, later that day the check engine light came on. had plenty og boost for that whole week until yesterday.

Last night when I left work and drove it to a nearby gas station. Ran just fine. Started back up and it did not want to stay running. I had to keep the RPM's high to get it home. As it stuggled to run before I rev'd it up, the gauges were going bezerk. Got a check engine light, the sport mode was flashing for a bit. As I kept it running the sport stopped flashing. Maybe no air was getting to engine? I don't have a code reader. Wonder if I should even drive this high tech headache anywhere but dealer.

It is probably too late, and you'll need a whole new engine, but maybe you got SUPER duper lucky.

Started back up and it did not want to stay running. I had to keep the RPM's high to get it home.

Not so much

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

What are you saying mwiener2? Have not started it yet. Why would I? Towing to dealer is pretty easy, obviously I can do that monday. This isn't the only ride in town.Curious about air starvation of the engine. After leaving the gas station after many hours of non turbo activity without any issues is intriguing. Any thoughts that are intelligent?

*sigh* There is no blown turbo code. The ECU has no way of knowing the status of the turbo. If you get a CEL you either have a problem that led to the death of the turbo, or your turbo has died and is now taking other parts of the engine with it.

Example: Tuned a car the other day. Took it for a test drive. Turbo bearings blew apart. We know cause we heard it happen and the car started smoking horribly. No CEL. Car drove fine back to the shop (except for the smoke). Few days later got the time to pull the turbo.... no oil pressure in engine. Still no CEL. His engine is most likely ok, but we still have to break it down and rebuild it to be sure. This is major failure, major overhaul time. No CEL.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Few days ago I took my 05 LGT into dealer for my ACC flashing issue. Dealer came back with $1300++ to replace the body control module. I didn't think it was worth it so I just picked the car. On the way to drop it off (at dealer) I heard the turbo making slurping noises. Then is sounds like a whistle. I spoke to dealer about checking into it but when they came back with that stupid repair bill I just got pissed and picked the car up without thinking about the turbo. So today I'm driving to work from dealer and the turbo is making a crackling noise, then a spitting noise. This only occurs with acceleration. Still had boost. 5 miles later the noise stops and the boast is now gone. Got a few turbo guys at work checked it out for me and think maybe the down pipe cat blew chunks into my turbo and has it seized. No oil anywhere in the area and a faint smell of something burning, but only after I attempted to show them I had no boost. Did get a P0011 code 1 week ago. Oil was pretty low, lost track of the change interval. Anyway added oil and reset code that day and no noise until I drove it into the dealer as mentioned above.

Any thoughts? Blown or repairable?.....:confused:

For anyone else reading this, if he had stopped driving it when it made that noise, there would probably have been a chance of saving the engine. Replace the turbo, flush oil, etc, etc.

That code did pop the first time I heard the slurping noise. It only happened for a quickl second, later that day the check engine light came on. had plenty og boost for that whole week until yesterday.

Last night when I left work and drove it to a nearby gas station. Ran just fine. Started back up and it did not want to stay running. I had to keep the RPM's high to get it home. As it stuggled to run before I rev'd it up, the gauges were going bezerk. Got a check engine light, the sport mode was flashing for a bit. As I kept it running the sport stopped flashing. Maybe no air was getting to engine? I don't have a code reader. Wonder if I should even drive this high tech headache anywhere but dealer.

This is how you destroy your motor, with a bunch of metal chunks. $5000+ repair bill. Ooops.

This is how you destroy your motor, with a bunch of metal chunks. $5000+ repair bill. Ooops.

Agreed. I am beginning to wonder if this is for real. First he describes a text book method for destroying the engine. Then he promises to take it into the dealer on Monday. (yesterday)

And then fails to come back here and tell us how the dealer visit went.

I don't know whether to cry or call Shenanigans.

Guess i'll go outside and grill some meat. Nothing to see here. :bbq:

Towed to dealer and they quoted new turbo around 1400+ labor. They also said they dont have anyone to work on it until next week due to training? This is pretty reducules. Diriving a subaru in south florida is like driving a masaratti in nebraska. Other local jap import shops have beat that price. Having it repaired elsewhere. Good thing I live in an area where this is available. Otherwise I might be stuck listening to the dealer. As it progresses, I'll post updates.

FYI be prepared for the engine to make funny noises after you get the new turbo. I'm near positive about this.

The dealer should have drained the oil and looked for bearing shavings, im positive they are present judging by your intent on total annihilation of your car's source of GO power.

:coffee:

Towed to dealer and they quoted new turbo around 1400+ labor.

Other local jap import shops have beat that price. Having it repaired elsewhere.

If the shop knows what they are doing, they will drop your oil pan and determine the real cost of repair. If they just swap out the turbo, you may be in for a surprise. ;)

If the shop knows what they are doing, they will drop your oil pan and determine the real cost of repair. If they just swap out the turbo, you may be in for a surprise. ;)

http://fieldsmarketinggroup.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cha-ching.gif

50% of this shops biz is supra's. Different animal but similar concepts. I'm getting a family hook up so it's not going to be the shops #1 priority. To add to an early post of mine, as I reached home after driving it at the higher RPM, I pulled into my complex and it was idling fine, little loud on the exhaust just aft of the turbo. I'm hoping the cat after the turbo got clogged with FOD the engine had trouble breathing. All my local turbo gear head friends are pointing towards an air starvation issue. FOD seems unlikely to have traveled all the way back into the block. Although it can't be ruled out without a proper diagnoses.

Archived