LegacyGT.com

Who would be interested in USDM 08-09 rear bumper vents?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing yet guys. I've been caught up with stuff going on that I haven't been in touch with the guy. When I got back from my trip, I saw the prototype and it wasn't great. Problem is, there is not a single straight line on the vent. The only straights are the horizontal lines of the vent. It is actually a pretty intricate piece from subaru lol. I will try and bug the guy tomorrow but since he wasn't making very much on the pieces either, I think my project dropped down on the priority list. He told me he got other projects in that he was working on and mine isn't that large a scale or profit for him so I assume since he hasn't called me, not much has been done since. but ill update you guys tomorrow

Call me crazy :spin: but couldn't someone simply fashion a mold out of balsa wood or something similar/sandable and then have that mold made into ABS plastic or even fiberglass from a speaker box guru? I am not saying I am the guy to do this (sucked in woodshop), but I know for some time these bumper vents have come up as issues/threads and they seem to be very complex pieces?

Hell, I may even try to fill in the reflector spots with Bondo or filler, smoothed to match, and just have the rear repainted. I have seen similar things done on the Lexus ISX50's and they look pretty sharp.

I am still in on the project/purchase should it happen, just wanted to throw some ideas at more creative people than myself.

Best,

C.H.

Cholmes, I think thats a pretty good idea actually. The guy tried to use clay but it didnt work out apparently. He is not making it a mold, the method he does is to CAD it and then "print" it using a 3D printer. Hence the labor/time/material of just building a prototype.

He has told me it may be best to source out an ABS company and have them make it and he can try and make a mold but i have no idea where i can source one? I mean do i just google ABS company? lol. How do i know their quality of work and whatnot? Anyone know if there are any vendors here that can build one?

Or if someone can CAD it up and he can print it? It is just he has so much stuff to worry about right now and economy is tough so he is trying to get bigger projects for himself that he wont be making very much money off each piece and it is time consuming to build these.

-Scott

Call me crazy :spin: but couldn't someone simply fashion a mold out of balsa wood or something similar/sandable and then have that mold made into ABS plastic or even fiberglass from a speaker box guru? I am not saying I am the guy to do this (sucked in woodshop), but I know for some time these bumper vents have come up as issues/threads and they seem to be very complex pieces?

Hell, I may even try to fill in the reflector spots with Bondo or filler, smoothed to match, and just have the rear repainted. I have seen similar things done on the Lexus ISX50's and they look pretty sharp.

I am still in on the project/purchase should it happen, just wanted to throw some ideas at more creative people than myself.

Best,

C.H.

Cholmes, I think thats a pretty good idea actually. The guy tried to use clay but it didnt work out apparently. He is not making it a mold, the method he does is to CAD it and then "print" it using a 3D printer. Hence the labor/time/material of just building a prototype.

He has told me it may be best to source out an ABS company and have them make it and he can try and make a mold but i have no idea where i can source one? I mean do i just google ABS company? lol. How do i know their quality of work and whatnot? Anyone know if there are any vendors here that can build one?

Or if someone can CAD it up and he can print it? It is just he has so much stuff to worry about right now and economy is tough so he is trying to get bigger projects for himself that he wont be making very much money off each piece and it is time consuming to build these.

-Scott

That would be very time consuming if each piece was 3D printed. Each piece takes hours sometimes. I could see doing 1-2 sets for R&D of a master mold. I am not sure the exact process but I know there is a step or software that takes it from CAD (probably more like Solidworks or some other 3d modeling tool) and sends it to a CAM type program. Anyway, no one cares about that detail.

Try searching for injection molding company's. I would think about any plastic would be fine in this application.

That would be very time consuming if each piece was 3D printed. Each piece takes hours sometimes. I could see doing 1-2 sets for R&D of a master mold. I am not sure the exact process but I know there is a step or software that takes it from CAD (probably more like Solidworks or some other 3d modeling tool) and sends it to a CAM type program. Anyway, no one cares about that detail.

Try searching for injection molding company's. I would think about any plastic would be fine in this application.

You are right and my guy was thinking of 3D-ing all of the sets. but it wouldve been time consuming like you said, a few hours a piece. hence, the low profit margin for him.

I will look into injection molding companies...

• 2 weeks later...
Have you looked at all into vacuum forming shops (quite a bit cheaper for mass production) or even contacting the vendors on LGT.com about production?

Which vendors can i can contact on here?

I have been so busy with my job that i havent even had time to research anything lately. Sorry guys but full-time job comes first. I was taking this on when work was a little slower but now it is ridiculous again. So, I will look into this more maybe next week if i can manage some time. Thanks all

Which vendors can i can contact on here?

I have been so busy with my job that i havent even had time to research anything lately. Sorry guys but full-time job comes first. I was taking this on when work was a little slower but now it is ridiculous again. So, I will look into this more maybe next week if i can manage some time. Thanks all

It's no biggie. I think most on here fully understand the busy aspect all to well. I know that I personally do not have time to invest in any side projects that may or may be make me any profit. However, if someone such as yourself takes on a project I am interested in. I have no problem taking a few moments to inject any ideas or knowledge I have.

I had considered originally to order the JDM units not know how different they were. I also considered hacking the bump and creating two vent holes covered from the back side with some type of screen netting (like the gutter stuff people are using to make their DIY grilles), dropped that idea in fear it would look rice/ghetto.

I certainly do not have the final answer, but I know RavSpec, TRF, and Infamous have been known to bring such projects to market. They are all also sizable enough that they should have the manufacturing clout to carry the project through at t decent price.

That being said I do not know how any of us could contact them outside of this site.

• 2 weeks later...
Anything?

Nothing yet.

Sorry guys. it may be a while...

I have been swamped at my job and the guy who i was working with on this just had a baby soo.....i think some of you know how that goes...

Sorry all but I am not abandoning the project, itll just be some time.

Thanks everyone for keeping up with this thread though

id rather have you take your time, get it right and then take our money unlike some other vendors who seem to get this out of order not to name any names

i would recommend contacting hangar/trf who seems to be killing it with the rear diffuser

I appreciate the advice and yes, their diffuser seems to be legit! If I had money (and a faster car) I would get the diffuser in a heartbeat. But once I get a prototype/mold that I'm happy with, then ill go about contacting other vendors or finding injection molding companies.

I ran across a company the specializes in manufacturing injection molding and they do prototyping. They are in China, so price, quality, and communication could be poor.

http://www.hoda-mould.com/index.asp

I have a contact name and email, if anyone wants to PM me to get it. I personally do not have the time to dedicate to such a project.