LegacyGT.com

driver door or window rattle

Drove the wife's 2005 LGT today and when I shut the driver door, I heard something knocking. The driver window goes up and down ok, but when I push/pull on it, it seems a bit loose. It sounds like something is swinging loose in the door when you shut it.

Any ideas? How hard is it to remove the door panel?

Thx for any ideas.

Actually, the rattle happened with window up, down or in the middle. I got the door panel off and found that the two tubular door supports that run front to back had broken loose form the weld, or whatever holds them in place. That door has been hit in the past and the impact apparently broke the welds loose. I stuffed some foam material in to wedge the tubular supports against the door frame and the rattle is now gone.

To get the door panel off, I used these two posts: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53186&postcount=5 and http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/door-panel-removal-sound-deadening-install-pics-20069.html

Look at picture one and two of the second link, then use the description in the first link to remove the door grab handle cover. It's kind of confusing but push up on the door panel, in front of the grab handle, with one hand, while twisting the plastic cover towards the front with the other hand. Once I figured it out, it only took 2 minutes to get the cover off. The rest of the door panel is easy.

• 8 years later...
My glass on my driver side is rattling when shutting door. It still rolls up and down fine, just seems sloppy. Will there be possible lose bolts or nuts or something simple to fix this? Thanks!
I'm having this same problem and I'm already going through the trouble of swapping door cards from one car to another. If there's a fix for this I'd like to know while I'm at that task. I like to have a crisp sound shutting the door. I might also put the sound deadening mod in there covered in these forums while I'm at it too!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

SpecDub, we might have to start a new topic on this. Usually I get a response from someone in the know within a few hours here but I have been off the forum for a while with good fortune/no issues.

Just upgraded my 97 Legacy to a 99 outback with 145000 less miles! It's like a new car to me. Doesn't drip a drop but the dang driver window rattles. I plan on keeping this car up as best I can so will be trying to fix everything, hopefully not by replacing a door.