LegacyGT.com

These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Adoniram

Well I'm moving to Texas in a few days and I have some questions about emissions there. I know that California (where I'm moving from) is notorious for being uber strict and annoying on just about every level possible (including emissions), but I want to know what to expect in Texas.

I have a stage 2 tune from Infamous Performance, and Tarrant County (where I'll be living) requires an OBDII emissions test (see here). Will this tune result in an instant fail? Or is the tune already ok for testing like this?

I'm not worried about the sniffer test. I have a high-flow cat, and I can always dump a bottle of "Guaranteed to pass emissions formula" into the tank if there's issues. I just don't want to put the stock parts back on, put the stock tune back on, etc etc etc...

Ideas?

you should be fine

I see a lot of people running JDM swaps on other cars with no problem

and you're only at stage 2, with a catted downpipe, and that will pass cali's sniffer test, so I dont see why it wouldn't pass any other state's emission test

but then again I could be wrong

Texas isn't too big on emissions, unless you find an anal inspector at one of the state inspection booths (small garage painted in the TExas Flag). If you go to a regular shop that is certified for safety inspections they usually don't do a sniff test... but they do look at your exhaust, mainly to check for cracks and leaks near the muffler. They won't get under the car.

If you pass the visual inspection and OBDII, you're good. What DP do you have? Does it look like it has a cat in it? If not, there's a possibility of failing. They could still be lazy and not look. They will most definitely plug into the OBDII port. The tune should have that covered though.

That's how it is in Illinois. All that scan does is look for a CEL that the computer is triggering. Which you would see the light and know your going to fail before you even test. Even if there are some lights that are turned off by your tune this will not show up. If it's tuned away it's not going to show up. You will be fine driving up just like you are.

Whew glad to hear it because I did not want to put the downpipe and headers back on. Oh and the uppipe... All of which I still have, but I hope I never have to mess with it again. The downpipe I have is a cnt catted dp. Headers, up, and dp are all wrapped in black exhaust wrap too... Should theoretically be less noticeable

• 3 weeks later...

Archived