LegacyGT.com

2.5 to 2.2 swap?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
I was gonna do that i was hoping it was something i could fix myself just dont know where to start or what to look for.

Thats why I said take it back to whoever did the work.

If you start screwing with it, you're going to void any warranty you have

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Usually a flashing check engine light means that its misfiring so bad that immediate damage will happen to the converters. Check the condition of the plugs and wires, and make sure they are not mixed up. their order should go like this (looking from the front of the engine.)

coil:

2 4

1 3

engine

2 4

1 3

As well, check over all of your vacuum lines to make sure everything is hooked up as it should be. You can even do some basic stuff as clean the MAF, IAC, etc.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

I believe you can use ANY Subaru coil pack for any EJ series engine (someone want to verify this?).

P0500 : Vehicle Speed Sensor A

P1100 : Starter Switch Circuit Malfunction

P1101 : manufacturer control fuel air metering malfunction

P1120 : Starter Switch High Input

P1121 : Neutral Position Switch Circuit High Input

P1540 : Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction 2

There are a few different possibilities that can be causing this

Electrical

An electrical problem can cause all kinds of funny things. Does your battery have a full charge? Check over all the ground wires and make sure the grounds are all hooked up as they should be. Another thing that can be done is the Subaru Grounding Mod.

Wiring Harness

If the harness its self has been damaged during install (kinked, pinched, or anything else that can break the wires) you will get just about every trouble code known to man.

Diagnostics Connector

Subaru was nice enough to leave a mysterious green connector under the dash. This should be UNPLUGGED. If you plug it in (two ends together) you will throw a bunch of codes and the car will run like dog poop.

The chances of all these codes showing up at once and EVERYTHING being wrong is slim to none. I can almost assure you with 100% certainty that this is because of an installation error. Call the shop that did it, have them tow the car back there (explain the flashing check engine light and how it will damage your converters and engine if you drive it), and have them fix it.

Regardless, its some type of wiring or electrical issue

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

It has nothing to do with swapping from the 2.5 to the 2.2 because he said it was not as simple as dropping it in and plugging it up or was he just saying that. That way if that is not a cause of the problems he cant use that as an excuse why it has electrical issue

• I Donated

The 2.2 and 2.5 are interchangeable with each other. 100% plug and play. ECUs are interchangeable, wiring, sensors, etc. If he doesn't believe you, then show him this forum. If you still have problems, PM me and I'll give you my number and I'll talk to the dude and explain it if needed.

It IS as simple of just dropping it in and plugging it up.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
I thought so i think he ws just fishing for more money on labor.

Either that or he just simply doesn't know.

Subarus are kind of unique. Its hard to find a good Subaru mechanic.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I think he just didnt know he told me before i left that the engine light was flashing but it was doing that before he worked on it so he thougt it just needed to be reset so thats why i stopped on the way home to have the codes checked out and now to find out that i cant drive my car still.A dumb question what are converters and how can i tell if i have damagd them?

• I Donated

Part of the exhaust sytem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

An exhaust shop will be able to properly test them. If they go bad though, it will make a check engine light come on for "catylist efficiency below threshold"

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

Like I said before, a flashing check engine light means that the engine is misfiring really bad. Misfiring causes MUCH hotter exhaust gasses, and burns up exhaust components....including o2 sensors.

Why did you do an engine swap anyways?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
It might not be misfiring. Your ECU might think it is because of wiring damange, a bad ground connection, or the green diagnostics connector under the drivers dash being hooked up. Check those things

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I don't know i have had it to three mechanics over the past two months trying to get this car running again and i have already put double the money than i paid for it and still can't drive it. I am at my witts end a family of 4 with no car sucks.

Archived