LegacyGT.com

knocking/clicking noise

On my 96 Legacy outback 2.2 MT i have a faint but noticeable knocking/clicking that i have noticed in the last few days that only happens when the engine is under load and I'm at 50% or greater throttle. It happens in all gears and I'm pretty sure it's speed dependent. It starts happening right about 2000 rpm and at least to 4000 rpm but it starts to get drown out by engine noise around then. It also only lasts for about 30 seconds after a cold start then goes away.

To me it it kind of sounds like a faint version of a bad CV joint except this noise is not affected by turning and my CV joints should be good since I replaced both front half shafts within the month.

Engine sounds normal at idle and doesn't make the noise when revved without a load.

Anybody got any guesses?

• I Donated

Do you have the 2.5L?

If so, you need to be running premium gas in it since your car is a 96. Running a octane too low can cause detonation...making your engine knock, ping, tap, etc.

If this isn't the case, you may want to look into lubrication issues

does it happen when you're not moving and just reving the engine?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

As stated above 2.2 and does not happen when revving without a load. I run mid grade 88 octane

I also just replaced my valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago and everything was nice and gunk free did a full synthetic oil change then, I've since checked my oil level and it's where it was when I did the change

• I Donated

Sorry, didnt see where you put 2.2L lol

I've had luck in the past with adding 1/3 can of Seafoam into the oil to clear up noisy lifters. This may help you out a little bit.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

How did you seafoam it? A 3rd of a can through a vacuum line that is on the center of intake and then a can in the tank?

The injectors are spraying gas/seafoam throught the intake anyways, but if you use the vacuum lines its more of a forceful punch in the face to carbon. imo.

a bad wheel bearing?

How did you seafoam it? A 3rd of a can through a vacuum line that is on the center of intake and then a can in the tank?

The injectors are spraying gas/seafoam throught the intake anyways, but if you use the vacuum lines its more of a forceful punch in the face to carbon. imo.

a bad wheel bearing?

I did a third of the can in the gas, third in the oil and third through the vacuum lines.

I dont think its a wheel bearing because it starts almost exactly at 2k rpm no matter what gear I'm in so I'm pretty sure that narrows it down to an engine or accessory noise

Archived