LegacyGT.com

EJ25 burning Oil

Hey all, it's inevitable. My 98EJ25 is burning oil and I don't know what is easier and time effective. Get a JDM motor and swap it out or rebuild the one I have now. I might have to take it to the dealer to get done though so they can give me a loaner.

What would you all recommend?

• I Donated

All Subarus burn oil. The question is how much oil?

If you buy a used engine, the dealer won't warranty anything. If you have them rebuild your current one, they will warranty everything.

Before you ask about a JDM turbo engine, read the turbo sticky lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I wasn't going to go boost, but now that you mention it. I just don't know what the cost difference is going to be. Although, standalone ECU on a boosted JDM would be sweet...

I think the blown head gasket is what got me to the burning oil issue in the first place. IF I could get one real cheap, then I would probably rebuild it with forged internals and what not.

• I Donated
I wasn't going to go boost, but now that you mention it. I just don't know what the cost difference is going to be. Although, standalone ECU on a boosted JDM would be sweet...

Its not a cheap project to do a turbo swap. There is a bunch of information in the Turbo FAQ thread stickied on the top of the forum.

I drive a 95 Legacy L with an EJ20R (jdm) swap and a Megasquirt 1 stand alone ecu. It is pretty bad***. I wouldnt trade it for the world. I plan on doing a 2.5 block with the EJ20R heads soon....to make it even more bad***

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

So, apparently replacing piston rings on my vehicle is gonna cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000 from the dealer, but they give me a loaner vehicle to put around in...

JDM motor with less mileage might be the way to go.

Still weighing out my options.

Archived