LegacyGT.com

Getting to the towers in a sedan is a little frustrating, but not all that bad.

The biggest pain is getting that top nut out because you can barely get your hand in there, nevermind a socket wrench with some decent swing to it.

I got a set of tools if you need some help. And for the bolts on the bottom I just snug them up real tight.

And he is talking about the top 3 bolts. The far back one is a pain in the ass to get to. I have to use an Endwrench and keep turning it a 1/4 of a turn for 5+ minutes.

• 1 month later...

This thread makes me laugh (at myself) because I just went through the same thing a few weeks ago.

I was paying a fellow to install rear struts for me. I just assumed he'd be accessing them through the trunk. Before driving over to his garage, I tried to be considerate; totally emptying out the trunk and placing everything onto the back seat. It all needed to come right back out again when he removed the seat, of course.. lol

The thought was there. The logic wasn't. :)

Haha! That's awesome :D He was probably like "Geeze retard..." but I felt the same way when I pulled everything out of a junk one in the trunk. The trunk was full of some nasty smelling stagnant water and it was full...full of stuff. I got so nasty pulling all that crap out of there and I finally get all the crap out and get in there and find out that it's not even accessible from the trunk haha Live and learn. And yeah...I took the seatbelt off for the rear bolt on the junk car ;)

He actually found my mistake to be rather funny and was complimenting me on what I had in the trunk (aka, rear seat).

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had no clue on how to use most of the tools, oils, etc; I simply thought they'd be important to have if I needed help on the side of the road... lol

Even though my son thinks my beater car is an embarrassment, I try to share with him whatever I learn about automotive maintenance or anything else car-related. It got his attention when I told him how I'd taken the radiator cap off when the engine was hot (years ago). He's also learning that there is nothing wrong with asking questions and researching as much as you can.

I think that most people recognize when someone is sincere in their desire to learn and are not just taking advantage of the situation, basically "playing dumb and helpless". I explain to my sons, "I am already cute, I don't have to pretend anything." :lol:

Judging from your post I assume you're a mom and not a dad haha

Well a desire to learn is half the battle. And as for the beater thing, I actually love my Legacy 10x more than I love my RS. It's all how you feel about the car. If you are in love with it you'll want to make it better and learn more about it. Probably a year and a half ago I couldnt do crap on my own vehicle. I didnt know how to change my freakin oil. Now, after replacing parts like struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, headlights, tail lights, fenders, bumpers, radiators, timing belts...well, actually not too long ago I replaced all the seals, water pump and disassembled and cleaned up a used engine and had my friend help me drop it in, I find it's all experience. You start to gain confidence and knowledge. And most of the time it's just taking bolts out and remembering where they go back in :D Over that time I've probably asked hundreds of questions to a bunch of different people, but that's how you learn.

So did you end up watching how he did it?

You assume correctly :)

Every time I have help with any repair I try to watch and ask questions, as much as I can (without being annoying.. lol) With the strut installation it wasn't easy to see how it was done, just because of the way my friend had the light stand set up and such.. not a lot of room without standing over his shoulder.

The lesson I took away from that little episode was how to pay attention to that one piece on the top - the one that'll fly into your face if you're not removing it properly? Those sort of things tend to embed themselves into my memory bank! :eek:

When "we" were trying to repair a seized caliper bolt, the minute my friend lit up this freakin' huge torch, I was out of there.. lol

It'll take forever to learn all this stuff but it's fun, too. If I was designing a car I'd put a big red "X" where the darn jack is supposed to go.. I don't know why that issue causes me anxiety but it does.

But, I've learned more in the last month or so than in all the combined years before that, so it's all good.

Yup. I ended up removing one in a junk yard one time by sitting on the springs and just loosening it slowly while having a pair of vice grips hold the shock. Worked...but that nut flew about 15 feet haha

Yeah, it's one method. Usually a last resort for me though. I tend to go with the PB Blaster for a few hours ;)

One step at time. And yeah...it can be annoying. Thats why I always lift under the crossmember in the front and the differential in the back. It's right down the middle so it's stable and then you can easily place your jack stands without having to try and squeeze them in there!

Yes, but first I'd have to understand what a differential is and where to find it.. and then I'd have to do the same with learning about a crossmember. Could be referring to a forum member that dresses up in women's clothing, for all I know. lol

I do know that PB is not referring to peanut butter, though maybe that'd work after awhile? lol After all, "Necessity is the mother of ingenuity"!

Google remains my best friend, LW.

Haha, well first I assumed that your car is AWD, but for all I know it could be a front wheel drive. If that's the case you wont have a rear differential. If you do have all wheel drive your differential is the box in the back that has that long driveshaft running into it. It's what gives your rear wheels power. The crossmember at the front is the black bar that sits behind your oil pan. It has a square platform underneath it to lift from.

Rear differential.

http://img03.carview.co.jp/trade/img03/parts/467865/7376707/01w.jpg

Crossmember lift point. Not the greatest picture

http://nerdsontheinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/DSCN3524.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/pgillett/SubaruLegacySS/Place%20Jack%20under%20Front%20Crossmember%20Plate.JPG

As for the peanut butter...the oils may help haha But PB Blaster is the orange crap that you buy from Autozone or Discount in the white can. It's about $3-4 and it's like WD-40 on steroids. It kills rust, helps loosen stuck bolts and lubricates things. Usually if you spray PB Blaster on a stock bolt and wait 20 minutes you can usually get it off. It's not a miracle cure, but 98% of the time it works awesome. You can also fill a small cup with it and soak your rusty bolts or clean your car parts with it. That stuff is awesome ;)

Howdy. Sorry I wasn't awake at 4:30 to reply.;)

When the weather cooperates I'll check under the car and try to see what it is that you're showing me in the pics. Yes, my beast is an AWD.. and I only know that because SBT told me it was.

You can probably only access that area with one of the lifts similar to what's in your photo, right? I just need one afternoon where my friend can show me what-is-what under the car then so much more would make sense. Maybe I'll label everything while I'm under there.. lol

Ah, time zones. Yeah, I think it was closer to 7 something here when I replied. Well for one you look from the back and the other from the front. Once you find them they're easy to lift from. And yeah...I wouldnt suggest doing that method unless you have a floor jack like that. Who's SBT?

Doooo eeeet! Engraving time haha

Might as well label everything, before memory loss kicks in.. lol

SBT is one of this forum's moderators. He welcomed me and my duct-taped car the first day I sorta mistakenly showed up here. I didn't notice the "GT" part in the forum's name when I was searching for an appropriate site. A few days later, after reading the threads and such, I was like, "Omg.. these people have real cars".. lol.

I did try another site (for older Legacy) but I'm not liking their layout or the dark backgrounds used there. Just a personal preference.

If you're a Senior Contributor does that mean you'll get to be on YouTube?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhmjnYKlVnM&feature=related]‪Meh‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Oh wait, yes. I know which one you're talking about now haha This really is a useful site and people do try their best to help on here :D

yeah...bbs is pretty dark. Useful for some things though and the owner's really quick to respond.

I freakin hope so! I never even noticed that was my title until now though lol

Omg, I actually had a dream about an oil change.. lol.. I must be losing my mind. What happened to all those great dreams about sexy bikers and such? Sheesh.. lol

My great plan has stalled out for now - I have the oil filter and the oil but not the friend to go through the steps with me, and to lend the tool/s. My son showed up today and I'd mentioned the oil change to him.

He looked at me like I was from another planet, "Just turn the bolt". :rolleyes:

I replied, "Oh sure, I'll get right on that.. Could you whip up dinner for 30 French-Canadian relatives while I'm gone?"

It's only "easy" when you know what you're doing and when you have the proper tools and such.

Archived