LegacyGT.com

Creaking/clunking noise, front pass. side : CV joint or bearing?

Hugo L.

Lately I noticed there was a clunking sound coming from the front pass. side of my car upon deceleration, I could hear it when the car had reached a low speed.

«tonk-tonk-tonk-tonk-tonk...»

When trying to reproduce it, I noticed that if I turn left/drive straight in a parking lot, and drive slowly in circles (so there is a load on the right side + some angle on the CV joints), I hear it; at parking lot speeds, it's more like a creak.

«eeaah-eeaah-eeaah-eaaah...»

If you go faster, the sound blurs a bit and sounds like the «tonk-tonk» above, and when at full speed, you can't distinguish it from the road noise and all.

If I turn right, it doesn't seem to do it.

Wheel bearing or CV joint gone bad?

If it's only while turning that's normally a CV. Replace the whole axle. $70-80 for a new assembly. There are links here to buy new ones. I went to Advance Auto parts for mine. $80.00

If it makes a thunk noise over cracks in the driveway it end links on the swap bars. Also buy them from one of the vendors here. I went with Perrin's Solid end links. DO NOT replace them with the OEM style.

Wheel bearings are a constant hummm. They are covered for 100,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived