LegacyGT.com

Decent G-Forces?

I realize that this is all subject to road surface, temperature, measurement accuracy, etc... but I'm just trying to get a basic idea of where my car stands with regards to some other Outbacks and other Legacies. I decided to try a few random circles and straight like brake tests just to see what numbers I would get and I was curious what a good number would be, and how high others have managed to get theirs. I am running on crappy "Mastercraft" tires ($60/each) so I don't EXPECT anything fantastic out of my 98 Outback. Just wondering what is "good" for these vehicles? This test was done in a random parking lot, and the pavement didn't exactly feel sticky so...

Lateral G: 0.78

Braking G: 0.98

• I Donated

What did you use to get your measurements?

If you used an app on your phone, you might as well throw those numbers out the window because they are useless lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
They are not the most accurate things in the world. I've used apps similar, and I can tell they are not accurate. I'm reading very similar numbers on my phone....and my car is highly modified....engine, trans, tires, suspensions, etc. I know for a fact I can pull more lateral and braking Gs then a stock Legacy

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I dunno. I remember reading .7-something as the skidpad rating for my car on a site somewhere, so that seemed reasonable. The .98 for braking seemed like a high number but it would obviously be higher than lateral Gs and since I have HPS pads I figured it seemed reasonable too, but again I have no idea. Lol.

Tires matter in braking, not pads so much.

Lateral G doesn't mean anything really. Slalomn speed means something.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Tires matter in braking, not pads so much.

Lateral G doesn't mean anything really. Slalomn speed means something.

This was actually the whole point of my post. These tires are cheap POS tires that I hate with a passion, and I was hoping for some sort of benchmark to compare them. The pads on my car lock the tires LONG before I would actually overload the brakes themselves (disappointing). I realize if you really want to know how well a vehicle performs as a whole, a slalom will give you a lot more information on how the car handles weight transfer and other things, but a simple skidpad measurement at least gives me a basic idea of how shitty the tires are.

If these measurements aren't really that accurate, I guess there's not much I can do, so I'll just go back to promising myself to NEVER buy a cheap set of tires ever again. I hate these things.

Archived