LegacyGT.com

The Legacy Ad we've always wanted

That's interesting considering the national print ad in People magazine is similar, but lists the 0-60 time at 5.8. It's cool, though, how Subaru is going straight after Germany, and not even mentioning any Japanese cars.

It IS is local ad. However, it is in the same format (with the lines directing you up and down and across the page) as the OB XT ad in C&D and the Forester ad in my wife's "Ladie's Home Journal". The OB XT ad states that it's 5.9 0-60 time is faster than X5, boxster, Cayenne and Allroad. Boxster 0-60 time in C&D is 6.0. They didn't have data for the "S" version.

Yea, I'm a fan of the boxster and the S version is no slouch. I'd be curious about a comparison in performance, utility wise it's apples and oranges. But it would be a nice feeling to blow by all those people to feel so superior in their expensive cars. Somehow, the S430 doesn't feel like it belongs in that list. It's big and powerful and full of luxuries that doesn't leave much to desire, plus it rides like it's floating on water. Just not the kind of car I'd be shopping for along with a Legacy.

The Legacy's direct competition is, IMHO, as follows: VW Passat 4 motion (4, 6 and the absurd w_8 ) Audi a4 quattro both 1.8t and 3.0. Not quite the s4 though...until the STI that is :D Jag X- type BMW xi (both 2.5 and 3.0) The a4 1.8t with the "premium pack (leather, sunroof, etc) and 17 inch wheels is priced almost exactly at what the GT sedans are going for. Problem is that image wise Subaru is known as a quirky alternative to Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Trust me, I own a new OB XT, it is LEAGUES ahead of those other makes. I couldn't say the same about my 01 OB. This ad is an attention getter. Joe public looks at it and says, wow, 5.5 seconds to 60, thats pretty fast, maybe I'll check it out..... After that Subaru, or the local dealer, is hoping the car will sell itself.

And that is by far the hardest thing soldon, getting the people in to look. They do indeed sell themselves. Franz was looking at a WRX until I told him about the new GT coming. Once he saw the data and pics, he was sold. I'm going with him on Tuesday to pick it up. Like said many times, they sell themselves. Many people just wouldn't even look at or consider them though unless they got a good nudge or something to push/bring them in.

They've done really well in selling their cars as solid AWD utility vehicles. That's the area they knew they could prove their value. Now that they've added build/interior quality, it's a matter of pushing that point on top of the AWD functionality. But I have a feeling that SOA will have the same problem as Honda and Toyota. They built their reputation on price and reliability, but couldn't push luxury without using another name. The Lexus brand it doing so well that Toyota will introduce it in Japan.

[quote name='CombatCQB']They've done really well in selling their cars as solid AWD utility vehicles. That's the area they knew they could prove their value. Now that they've added build/interior quality, it's a matter of pushing that point on top of the AWD functionality. But I have a feeling that SOA will have the same problem as Honda and Toyota. They built their reputation on price and reliability, but couldn't push luxury without using another name. The Lexus brand it doing so well that Toyota will introduce it in Japan.[/quote] They'll call it - Saabaru :D But seriously, think 9-2x. I could see it happening if GM buys some more into Subaru. Anyhow, thinking of Saab, I think Saab builds some nice looking turbocharged cars - all they need is some AWD and a little bump in hp and I would be all over them. - Mike

I'd get a S2K for a project car to work on and autox, but I'd still get a boxster if I could just for cruising. Just something about the rumble of the mid mounted engine and the whole porsche feel, but that's just me.

Archived