LegacyGT.com

S3: Subaru Summer Solstice 2011

mk6933

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i was gonna go, but i got scheduled to train some new kid. i was bitter all day and i don't think he likes me anymore.

i WILL be at subiefest. I was there last year and it ROCKED.

big caravans generally bring trouble.

I haven't looked at the video yet, nor did I see or hear about any accidents. I was towards the front of the caravan and was actually pleasently surprised at how well everyone was driving. Generally being in the pack of any pack of anything (driving in traffic, motorsport racing, cycling racing) is bad news for avoiding accidents. So I never had more than say, 20 cars in front of me, and the people around me and in front of me were all behaving, and actually going 65-70mph!

It was a pain in the ass to find. Myself along with about 15 other subarus were driving in circles trying to find it. the location was gorgeous! didnt stay long really not much there i was pretty dissappointed. oh well it was worth the drive just to hang in SB for the day.

When did you get there? The caravan arrived around 9:30am, and most of the good stuff at the meet was between 10a and 1230p. After that people were just hanging, eating, checking out cars.

It looked to me like people were having a pretty good time, and everyone I talked to definitely was enjoying themselves. There were families there, so things were kept PG-13, which I found refreshing (for once, a car event without hookers everywhere).

I'm curious to know what you found dissappointing about it.

I haven't looked at the video yet, nor did I see or hear about any accidents...

That video was posted by cobb on fb showing the 4 subies in the caravan crashing into each other.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TthXnmf2GY]YouTube - ‪Accident‬‏[/ame]

heard there was a 4 car pile up

1 SWP 2011 STi sedan

1 blue GC

and ??

Looks like the guy filming was driving like an idiot, flooring it and then slamming on the brakes at an intersection! Sucks for the guys behind him, but its their own fault too for following too closely as well. Ah well, at least I stayed far, far away from any of that stupidity. Hopefully no one was injured.

That doesn't look like the route the main caravan took; I don't recall any of that scenery. Do you know where the accident occurred?

I've no clue, COBB just posted'em on FB yesterday.

Looks like the guy filming was driving like an idiot, flooring it and then slamming on the brakes at an intersection! Sucks for the guys behind him, but its their own fault too for following too closely as well. Ah well, at least I stayed far, far away from any of that stupidity. Hopefully no one was injured.

I personally always give more space between myself and the car in front especially in caravan situations. If the person behind likes to tail, I'd let them pass to avoid an accident. Last time I was in a small caravan to a meet, my friend's friend smashed into him because he was following too close. It was at a stop light and he was so close that he didn't realize it was red. Anyway, good thing it wasn't a bad hit and the cars were still drivable, but that just ruined their trip.

I've found often that those who feel the need to film something like this are the accidents waiting to happen....

I bought an AVR from Taiwan designed specifically for the road. Uses a micro sd flash memory, it records for 8hrs and makes a new file every 15minutes. When it does run out of memory, it erase the very first file and records over. This is very popular in asia right now, has a wide angle lens and records very well at night. All cab drivers there have them now because whenever you get in an accident and someone moves their car, its hard to argue who's at fault(legally). Another reason would obviously be to protect the owner. The recordings list time/date and can be used as evidence when it comes down to a he said she said situation after an accident.

I know this wrx dude mounted the camera on his roof probably to record the trip, but for me, it is mounted on my passenger side visor just in case I ever get into an accident. It will be a lot easier to argue my case (unless its my fault);).

I highly recommend everyone to get one for protection. These things range from $50-$120 and are pretty reliable. There are some versions that have built in motion sensor so whenever someone walks near your car, it will start to record. :)

good advice blklgt05.

How are they powered? 12V?

I plugged it into the cigarette adaptor in the center armrest compartment, but of course all the wires are hidden. I don't really see them for sale here, but they are every where in Taiwan. Mine was about $120 in USD but it is the best one they had and I believe the only one that's made in Taiwan instead of China. The one I use is also the same one that all Taiwanese gov't officials are required to use on their vehicle.

-These takes really good quality video on bright days and dark nights.

-Comes with visor mount and its pretty solid. Legally in CA you can't mount anything on the windshield, but I wouldn't want that anyway cuz I got tint on the windshield. It's better than those suction cup mounts because you won't have to worry about it falling off from the sun's heat. ;)

-Like I mentioned earlier, I have a 8GB micro sd card and it last a good 8hrs+. Every 15min it makes a new file, and when it runs out of memory, it automatically overwrites the very first file and records over. You can choose to make that duration longer, everything is adjustable. And of course if you do get into an accident, all u gotta do is get the sd card out, use the micro sd card adaptor, put it in your pc and you can watch the video you recorded.

-You can also remove the unit from the mount and connect to your computer via USB(also provided). The format it records in can be watched via WMP or Quicktime, so it doesn't matter which OS/format you fancy.

-The screen dims and automatically turns off in 30 seconds so it don't distract you while u are driving, but you can choose to keep it on if you like.

-You can decide how long you want it to continue to record after you shut the car off because it has its own internal battery in case you get in an accident and a loss of power occurs. I set this for 5mins.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/10LGT/th_P6293984.jpghttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/10LGT/th_P6293987.jpghttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/10LGT/th_P6293990.jpghttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/10LGT/th_P6293992.jpg

I just ran to the parking and took some pictures, hope this helps! :)

-Gary

is the camera mount part of the unit or seperate? That is really neat! Does it do audio as well? I want to get something like this for when I go play in the mountains...

The mount does comes with it, and you can buy different packages where it also comes with suction cups and even bike mount, I bought the basic one with the HD visor clip, but its all I need. And yes, you can detach the camera from the mount, and yes, it does record audio. :)

nice! you have a link or any old one works?

I found it on ebay for $155 shipped here, if you can't find it just search for Vosonic GV6330.

I can't believe Amazon is selling it for $280[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Car-Dash-Cam-Dashboard-Windshield/dp/B002WPE1ZQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1309475491&sr=8-8[/ame] :eek:

You can also research the "Made in China" ones on ebay, some are really cheap but crappy quality. The one I suggested is Made in Taiwan and has good quality. Don't be fooled by the infrared, leds, HD, 5mp+...etc, its a bunch of bs. I've tried almost all of them out when I was in Taiwan and compared their day/night recordings side by side on a computer, GV6330 has the best video period even thou its not the most expensive unit.

-Gary

I take it you're from Taiwan? haha

I guess I'll look for one when I go back to China in a few weeks.

I was more concerned about how it video tapes after you shuts the car off, but since you said there is a internal battery and etc. made a lot of sense...

Definitely something very neat

I take it you're from Taiwan? haha

I guess I'll look for one when I go back to China in a few weeks.

I was more concerned about how it video tapes after you shuts the car off, but since you said there is a internal battery and etc. made a lot of sense...

Definitely something very neat

lol yup, if you have a chance you should ask to see if you can compare the different qualities on the computer instead of watching from the small monitors on these AVRs. I've compared pretty much all of them and ended up with the one I got. Most of the ones you'll see are made in china and shouldn't be more than $60-$75 USD. There's one that has dual front and back lens + GPS that's around $150ish, but i'm not sure about its quality thou.

-Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Archived