LegacyGT.com

1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

I just bought this 98 subaru legacy 2.5gt and I was wondering what were the known problems with this car, if any. I wanna know what I should do or shouldn't do to my car. I wanna keep it for a while and build it up. Any suggestions on parts, brands, and places to get it would be awesome! I'm new to the whole car thing.

^1

bought a 98 same as yours with 180k on it 2 months ago. ive replaced both rear struts, one blew due to me treating my car like a jeep so i figured replace both at the same time. normal misc axel tie rod bearing etc one or two on each or the other side.

heat shield rattle is a big one, fixed mine best i could and it still rattles a little. next step would be removal. i also have some weird air intake and my engine shakes more than it should so that makes it worse i think.

still need a lower radiator hose, cam seals, some bushing in the transmission, my antenna snapped off, stepped in gum today got it all over my pedals, definitely something im forgetting.

think im gonna replace the knock and crank position sensor just because i dont know when it was done and they look old.. plus she backfires sometimes.. but i kinda like it.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/5932/0511011916.jpg

Headgaskets are a common problem with these cars but you just get them replaced when they blow. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge and if things start to heat up then get it towed to the shop. You don't need to replace them right when you get the car... Unless you bought the car with them blown. The previous owner might have already done it so just be sure to ask about that.

You never know.. Some people don't replace things that need replacing. It would be better to be safe than sorry.
true but i would be surprised if hes on the original t belt at 140k. then again like you said, never know maybe it was replaced at 70k and its time to replace it again soon.

im in a similar situation where my water pump needs to be replaced and the shop suggested the t belt be done as well.. but the previous owner told me the belt was just done. he actually called it a chain but i didnt question him at the time. is it possible to put a chain instead of a belt on in these legacys?

anyway im putting off the work for now, hopefully i wont regret it.. its definitely good preventive maintenance is you have the cash.

If you are going to have them put in a new water pump you made as well do the belt again, I mean you're already paying for all the labor for them to get in there so you will essentially just be paying for the belt itself.

I don't know the status of the belt on my black GT. I'm guessing it was done because the guys dad worked at a dealership. But really I have no idea. When I asked about the head gaskets and timing belt he said "they're fine." So basically I know nothing about the status of those things lol

• 7 months later...

Upnout, for the EJ25D that comes with this car. You really can't mod it too much because of the open deck design in the heads. Unless you plan to swap out the motor the most fun you can have with these 2GEN Lego's is all the suspension and brake stuff that is a direct swap over from the WRX cars. Check out all of the stickies at the top of the Second Gen page on this site.

Zues Marine and Brokin' are the guys that wrote all of that. The second gen really is a great car it just needs a little bit of love.

Archived