LegacyGT.com

Opinion Needed...

what would i have to send to infamous for him to give me the custom tune... gonna start looking for the invidia dp here on the forums see if i can pick something up for cheap... i'll need new gaskets with it i'm assuming but it's worth it if i can pick it up at a low price...

what would i have to send to infamous for him to give me the custom tune... gonna start looking for the invidia dp here on the forums see if i can pick something up for cheap... i'll need new gaskets with it i'm assuming but it's worth it if i can pick it up at a low price...

Always get new gaskets. Even if you think you can reuse yours, you don't want to get a new exhaust installed only to find leaks (that's my philosophy: start with new, clean, good parts whenever you can).

Just contact Infamous and let him know what you're planning on doing. He'll ask you what mods you have on the car and what octane you're running (91 is your only option here in Maine). Then he'll make a tune and email it over to you. You then load it onto your vehicle, go out and do a data-log (which is a 3rd gear pull from 1,500-redline), send him the spreadsheet of the log, he'll make small adjustments to the tune and send it back to you. You repeat the process until the tune is perfect. It took me about 4 revisions to have a perfect tune. He's great about helping you learn and answering questions, don't be afraid to ask him about anything you're confused about.

Do you know how you're loading your tune yet? Are you using a laptop with a VAG-COM cable or are you going to use the Accessport loading method?

i wouldn't mind doing the VAG-COM cable way if its not too hard... cables run under $100? and once i have them all i have to do is download software onto the laptop or? not too sure if i'm educated enough in this area to perform the map uploads myself... don't wanna screw up the car... accessport would be nice but i'd like to cut back on costs plus you said the custom tune would be a better option...

is there a forum that details how to upload maps with the VAG-COM cable? and is there a certain cable that works for 05 lgt's or is it universal?

i wouldn't mind doing the VAG-COM cable way if its not too hard... cables run under $100? and once i have them all i have to do is download software onto the laptop or? not too sure if i'm educated enough in this area to perform the map uploads myself... don't wanna screw up the car... accessport would be nice but i'd like to cut back on costs plus you said the custom tune would be a better option...

is there a forum that details how to upload maps with the VAG-COM cable? and is there a certain cable that works for 05 lgt's or is it universal?

I should have been more clear. You can take the custom tunes that Infamous makes and load them onto an Accessport. From there it's as simple as plugging the AP into the car's OBDII port and flashing the map by pressing a few buttons. You can also do datalogs right on the AP and upload them to your computer as spreadsheets. I use my AP to manage my Infamous tunes and to do my datalogs.

I'm not sure exactly what's involved with the VAG-COM method, but there are some threads on here about it. I'd do a general search and look through the tuning section as well. I'll see if I can find them somewhere too.

Try this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/complete-beginners-guide-e-tuning-vendor-and-vag-com-cable-158118.html

I'll look into the difficulty of doing the tune via the VAG-COM cable but the AP is only getting more and more attractive due to the ease involved with that method. It is a bit more expensive but probably worth it in the long run especially with its on the fly compatability. I've only heard good about it. Still no luck finding a second-hand DP, well Invidia anyways. The youtube searches I've done have convinced me to go with the Invidia DP and Magnaflow CBE. Thanks for the recomendation!

from m sprank, the cable would probably cost $15 or something. The tune would be $150, so use that as comparison to any off-the-shelf tuning.

The process is actually pretty easy. Might take you 20 minutes or so to get your computer setup and then it's simply a matter of getting out there and logging a pull. I would personally recommend that method to anyone thinking of getting a tune. It's the best performance from a tune, and the best price, all from a highly experienced tuner who has done 500+ Legacy GT's. It's a no-brainer to me, but that's just me.

Also, I do not work for infamous or m sprank and I've never gotten paid by them, gotten bonus discounts, or anything. I'm just a very happy customer.

So here's the bad news... I've been waiting on the shop to install my new turbo, when they did they tried to fire up the engine and discovered that the engine had spun a rod and i now will need a new engine... i owe about 10k on the car and it has 112,000 miles, i think i might just sell it as is and see what i can get for it and take my loss on the loan versus installing a used/new engine... i'd like some input because at this point i'm pretty frustrated and really am not sure which direction to go... this sucks.

Hmmmm I dunno about that... they "discovered" a spun bearing after their installation? Seems fishy to me. Did you hear a loud rod knock before you took it there? Does the engine run at all now?

You probably won't get 10k for a non-op car, or one that is badly in need of a new engine. New engine will probably run you $3k or so. Or you could build it yourself and only replace/repair the parts that need it for a lot less. How mechanically savvy are you?

fairly mechanically savvy but not enough to do my own rebuild, especially on a subaru, maybe an american made but theres a lot of unknowns for me when it comes to boxxer engines... you think its fishy that they only realized the spun rod later on?

Heck yeah I think it's fishy! Btw, I think you mean spun bearing. You don't spin rods, they just snap.

-You drove to shop (didn't notice a loud knocking sound?)

-These mechanics drove it into their shop (didn't notice anything then either?)

-They did all the work, started the car, and oh hey! Loud knocking sound!

Nah. More like they put new turbo in, forget to hook up critically important part, or had the air/fuel mixture WAY out of spec, drove it hard, and did critical damage to your bearings.

Does the engine still run?

well i had the car towed to a garage where they instantly pulled out the engine, it was a friend of my fathers, he admitted that this would be a problem that he was not too knowledgable on nor had the time to do, then we had it towed to the garage where i bought the car and they put the engine back in... the car was never started when we originally towed it as it stalled on me... so it was the first time they realized this, not sure if it's still fishy or not... i have to go see the dealer when i get out of work tonight to find out details... i'll know more tonight or tomorrow

Ah I see. So the engine just suddenly shut down on you and refused to restart? Gotta have all the details here man!!

Sounds like the engine could have tanked before you ever brought it there. Did you think about having that issue checked out before you decided to put in another turbo? :p

well the engine shut off from a sensor, i never tried to restart the car, i figured before more problems come about i'll have it checked out... and yes i did think of that but they said it was only the turbo that was blown, these guys are real dummies when it comes to planning... they ordered the turbo and waited for it to come in before the scheduled the appointment versus doing it all at once and then cancelling if the turbo doesnt come in on time... they have it all ass-backwards but i have no other options being so secluded from everything... they said the turbo can be returned should we decide to go in a different direction with the car... just a huge hassle ultimately

Wow... sounds like there was never any proper diagnosis before bothering to replace the turbo. I wouldn't be so sure about the engine being shut off because of a sensor. I've never heard of a car turning itself off because something was off or a sensor wasn't working. You might have issues or a CEL but the car won't just turn itself off. You very well may have some serious engine damage and that was what originally killed it, not just some sensor. Why exactly did they think a non-functioning engine would be fixed by a turbo?

like i said, they never went into detail when diagnosing it and i'm gonna get angry with them for that... because now i'm stuck with a turbo and pretty much have to rebuild or replace the old engine or else i bought that turbo for nothing... pretty retarded if you ask me

Archived