LegacyGT.com

Catless UP and DP and emissions compliance?

05COLEGGT

I was just curious what you all that are running catless down and up pipes do for emissions compliance testing. Up here in Colorado we have to have our cars run through a variable load test on a dyno to check for emissions compliance. I've heard Subie's run farely clean but I can't see it passing a emissions test with both the up and downpipe cat deleted. :(

There are many states that have emmision laws and leggy owners aren't the only ones gutting their cats . Obviously if you take the filtering element out of a cat its not going to work and you probably won't pass emissions. The way I see it you have three options.....

1. Just go get it tested gutted and hope for the best.

2. Spend the money to get catless exhaust components and swap them out after the test.

3. Find a shady shop that will pass you regardless for a few extra bucks on top.

I know our California members have been dealing. With this emission crap for longer than most and I'm sure they would tell you it pays to know someone.

Wow, CO does dyno testing on AWD cars? Never seen AWD dyno for emissions anywhere in the US.

Places that have had dyno testing were 2WD only, with AWD vehicles just getting idle test. Most of those places are now just doing OBDII readiness checks and visual.

If AWD dynos are used, then you are in the minority, and I'd definitely go with at least a DP cat. Will you pass? Depends on how good the cat is, how your tune is, and how strict the CO load tests are.

Places that have had dyno testing were 2WD only, with AWD vehicles just getting idle test. Most of those places are now just doing OBDII readiness checks and visual.

Yup. That's what it's like in California counties that are subject to the biennial smog check requirement. Dyno for 2WD vehicles or part-time 4WD vehicles operating in 2WD only. They can't dyno AWD or full-time 4WD vehicles in CA because that would require that smog check stations spring for AWD dynos.

The smog technician looked at my oem uppipe and said nothing... They do an initial visual inspection starting on the uppipe...Anything suspicious bling is trouble... But wait !!! what if, that was a decatted unit ?..... uhuh...

I will have a decatted uppipe or an '07 put on , one of these days...No one will never know except the person that put it on,the tuner & myself...

Still non-mod here.... :)

You will not pass going catless. Waste of time trying. The limits are pretty strict here in CO. Not that many guys even pass with an aftermarket DP. I've passed twice on the dyno sniffer with my Perrin catted DP and E85 tune. You should put your stock DP on for the test.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Archived