LegacyGT.com

Checking Auto Trans Fluid Level

Does anyone know how to get an accurate reading?

From what I'm seeing it all drains back up the filler tube when you shut the car down so when is the best time to check it? I recently drained the torque converter so that fluid's gone and I think I overfilled it, but it says it's like waaaaaay overfull and I find that hard to believe. I'm thinking there was about 4 quarts that spilled out of the torque converter, a quart from the trans and a bit from the lines. I filled it back with about 4 and a half quarts. It says it's super full. Any ideas?

From what Ive read... look at the dipstick and if theres bubbles on the stick then that means its overfilled. It needs to be in between low and full, not at full. But at the middle mark or a lil above it. Also you can use a paper towel and drip some onto the paper towel and if it expands on the towel then your good. Can also smell it, if it smells like burnt toast then you can change it. Prolly more info then you needed but still lol.

From what Ive read... look at the dipstick and if theres bubbles on the stick then that means its overfilled. It needs to be in between low and full, not at full. But at the middle mark or a lil above it. Also you can use a paper towel and drip some onto the paper towel and if it expands on the towel then your good. Can also smell it, if it smells like burnt toast then you can change it. Prolly more info then you needed but still lol.

F means Full, not over full. Somewhere between F and L is somewhere between full and low, not full.

Most wet things expand on a paper towels when the are dripped onto them.

ATF fluid has anti-foaming agents. They wear out. If you see bubbles on your dipstick, your fluid is probably old.

If it smells like burnt ass, you missed your change interval and the damage has already been done. You're probably better off not changing it at this point.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The fluid's not bad. I changed it less than a year ago, but doing this recent engine swap and having the torque converter almost drained and the lines drained it makes it hard to know how much is in there.

So having it way above the full line isnt from filling the trans fluid through the dipstick tube and going through the leftover stuff?

Archived