LegacyGT.com

Just curious...

So I've heard all about the EJ25 Frankenmotor - EJ25 with EJ22 heads. Supposed to raise compression and give more power, yadda yadda.

Has anyone done an EJ22 with EJ20 heads?? Would maybe be a more reliable option (though with less power of course cuz of lower displacement) because of HG issues and such?

Just wondering if anyone had heard of it being done before.

• I Donated

The problem with the headgaskets on the EJ25D is the FACTORY head gaskets. Once replaced, they are usually good for the rest of the life of the engine since an updated gasket has been put on the market.

Obviously you would replace the head gaskets if you put EJ22 heads on an EJ25....so the head gasket problem would not be a concern after the head swap

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I see. Wasn't sure if it was a problem with the actual head gaskets themselves or an inherent problem with the motor. Anyways, just trying to build my Subaru knowledge. With my old car (Ford Focus), people swapped the head from the larger engine (2.3L) onto the smaller engine (2.0L) for more power.

What kind of effect would the EJ25 heads have on the EJ22?

correct me if i'm wrong, but the ''frankenmotor'', ej22 heads on ej25 block, has more power than the ej22 but less than the ej25.

this is a bit of an odd project engine. in my opinion there are very few situations where this would be a good setup. mostly from a i have the heads and the block and this is a cheaper outcome. in most cases either a straight swap or new head gaskets is a better solution. especially with unknown recently purchased cars, the ej22 swap is a safer solution.

the other thing i have heard is more low end power, better for off road. any truth to this?

Archived