LegacyGT.com

Timing question.

Just changed the timing belt and water pump on the L wagon last night. Mostly it was a piece of cake, however I noticed when I originally went to line up my timing marks that when both the cam marks were straight up the mark on the crank sprocket was at about 3 o'clock. Of course I just snatched the belt off without marking it and then realized what I should have done too late.

It idles very nicely and runs good, but sometimes it seems like it bogs down when i depress the throttle quickly. Wondering if I might be a little off on the timing, but not sure how to know since my marks weren't able to be properly aligned when i took the old belt off. Which then makes me wonder if during a previous timing belt change that the crank sprocket could have been removed and put back on improperly.

Can't put crank sprocket on wrong, it's keyed to the crankshaft.

Make sure all of your vacuum lines are properly attached.

If you have to, check belt by counting the teeth from the center.

40.5 to passenger sprocket and 44 to driver.

Did you shift the tensioner back to the left before final tightening?

O.

Can't put crank sprocket on wrong, it's keyed to the crankshaft.

Make sure all of your vacuum lines are properly attached.

If you have to, check belt by counting the teeth from the center.

40.5 to passenger sprocket and 44 to driver.

Did you shift the tensioner back to the left before final tightening?

O.

yes i moved the tensioner to the left. I thought the mark on the crank sprocket was supposed to face straight up when timed properly, but it didnt. It was right at about 3 o'clock. It bogs down pretty bad if you punch the gas and if you're going up a hill in high gear before it downshifts. Something definitely feels off.

Not sure how I can tell the timing is right for sure if my crank sprocket mark is off. Im assuming when the cam gear timing marks both face up that the crank should be at TDC right? I could check that way.

nevermind, i fixed it. Crank gear was off a tooth. I didnt realize the timing mark was on the reluctor wheel from the ckp sensor. I thought i was supposed to be going off the triangle stamped into the face of the crank sprocket. Oh well, i got this thing down to a science now...only took about 30mins the second time, lol.

Archived