LegacyGT.com

I found a complete JDM '05-'07 EJ253 SOHC I'm hoping will fit my USDM '07 Legacy 2.5i. I don't know enough about USDM vs JDM if this is a good buy. My current short block is fried.

Would the JDM EJ253 require any special installation or parts to work in my Legacy?

How can I verify this is from a JDM Subaru?

Any other questions I should be asking the supplier besides mileage on the engine, year & model it was pulled from, why it was pulled, and warranty?

Thanks,

needcoffee

One problem, there are no JDM Ej253's! JDM gets the EJ20 still :eek: Swapping in a JDM engine isn't impossible but can be tricky if you dont have the JDM ecu to run it properly.

What is exactly wrong with your shortblock? In need of a line bore, honing, decking new main bearing???

You may find it worth it to get it rebuilt and know that it done right.

I can see the following identifiers:

If facing the rear of the block, on the bottom left:

EJ253LUAQB-ODD-213735

Above that - EJ25S

On the timing belt cover, in front of the oil filter

EJ253LUAQB-ODD 6213735 AK 10

Can anyone tell me where this engine came from?

Thanks

Lets start from the beginning, who told you it was a JDM engine in the first place? That def is a NOT a JDM engine as that markets gets the EJ204 and EJ20E and EJ202 for he N/A crowd

Given the identifying markers i would say you have a run of the mill USDM EJ253 that someone tagged as JDM to make it more appealing. OR a JDM got a USDM engine but luck and then it got wrecked and shipped back to the states.

GEE-OTTO, thanks for the help.

A company that has a good ebay rep is stating this is a JDM motor with about 10K on it. From the listing:

SOHC 16-VALVE ENGINES WE HAVE IN STOCK WERE EACH REMOVED FROM A JDM SUBARU LEGACY IN JAPAN AND IMPORTED DIRECTLY TO US!

Company is jdmenginedepot.com and they relisted the item on ebay

My car is at the dealer and they told my the short block (w/ 67k) is too damaged to rebuild. I also need a new oil pump and pickup. The cost of the engine complete from this vendor is less than just the short block from the dealer. I don't know how to read the number on the block to see if it's a direct replacement for mine.

Thanks again,

needcoffee

WOW!

1. That is a clean engine damn near new looking

2. It has AVLS

3. The intake manifold is plastic which differs

4. It has a coil on plug setup so your ECU WILL DEF not be able to run that configuration.

5. The EGR on a USDM is plumbed into the drive side intake tract

6. I hope it has two other mounts as that front one doesnt exist on our cars

With all that if you could get your hands on the ECU you could make it work. And I def need to figure out which markets got this engine and it seems like a phase 3 EJ253 with 05 being phase 1, 06+ being phase 2 and this is the unknown.

However a JDM engine will run on a USDM car

Damn, I was really hoping it was a direct fit replacement. The price is great. Thanks for the quick replies and the info. Since the mounts are questionable and I'd need a different ECU this option is out.

I hate to be a pest but can you check this listing for me or tell me what should I be looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Subaru-Impreza-2-5-Liter-Engine-Motor-OEM-LKQ-31K-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b8ce9020QQitemZ140539498528QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks again.

Archived