LegacyGT.com

cruise control not working...save my life!

So my cruise control has not worked since I bought my spec B with 40K on it. The CC will not engage at any speed in any gear.

I had the ECU reflashed, did not fix.

I had the ECU replaced, did not fix.

I have data logged the Neutral safety switch, seems to work fine.

The control lever/switch on the sterring wheel seems to work...."CRUISE" light comes on when the end button is pushed, but it will not "SET" when lever pushed down.

Any one have the steering wheel lever go bad? or CC unit?

If anyone can gime me some tips on trouble shooting this I would really appreciate it, I have a drive down the ALCAN in a couple weeks...2000mile without CC may kill me...so you could save my life!

Check the clutch switch. If the upper switch is closed, CC won't work. It could either be stuck closed, or intentionally closed from some half-assed remote start install attempt.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
my cruise hasn't worked for over 2 years. It actually works up to about 65mph most of the time, rarely over 70 and never over about 75. it pisses me off now enough to fix it. strangely enough, it worked for a month after they replaced the 65000 mile blown OEM turbo, then quit working again. Again it worked for a short time after I changed the spark plugs. Not sure if these are coincidence? Anyway I'm eager to hear how to fix it because my mechanic didn't want to drive over 70 to check it out. HELP!!!

I knoe you said you logged the neutral switch but I owuld take it out and check it with an ohm meter. I have seen switches look ok on a log but when you ohm it out is has funky resistance values. Take it out and test it after checking what everyone else described above.

I have been doing a bit of searching for trouble shooting diagrams for the CC system, but no luck yet. As far as I can tell there is no Cruise control module like the older subies, it seems like it is all done through the ECU with a relay or two. can anyone verify if this is accurate?

FWIW my 05 would drop out of cruise on a down hill run. The fix was to remove the NSS grind down the washer and re-install. worked fine for a while. Then it started doing it again, I had to remove the NSS grind down the washer again and re-install, it's worked fine for years.

IDK may be it's something like that ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 months later...

The neutral safety switch is the high switch on the side of the tranny, the lower one is the back up lights.

Pull the connector, I used a adjustable wrench to get he sensor out. The sensor has a crush washer on it, take it off and grind it thinner.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
Hey guys , i have a 2005 legacy GT Limited. my cruise control work around town fine if u driving 20 miles or less. If im driving over 50 miles to another state it works for about 12 miles then it cuts off by itself. The only way to get it working is to turn off the car for a few minutes while getting gas. it works for another 12 miles then chips out again..... Helpppppp

• 6 months later...

Follow up for the fix!!! So we have winners....nightspeed and bac5.2 were right it was the clutch switch. I finally found the diagnostic diagram and figured out that although the lower clutch switch(there are two) appeared to be working(made a clicking noise) it was not sending the proper voltage to the ECU.

For anyone interested in the diagnostic approach to the CC system:

Voltage should be checked at the ECU, under the FRONT PASSENGERS feet, you must pull back the carpet and remove a metal plate to access it. check voltage of the following:

1.main power supply

2.command switch during CANCEL, SET, & RESUME

3.brake switch

4.stop light switch

5.main switch(at end of CC command switch)

6.ignition switch

7.clutch switch

8.neutral position switch(MT)

9.neutral signal(AT)

That is the basics, pin placement is variable depending on MMY so you will have to find the schematics for your car.

Thanks for everyones input and I hope this helps someone else, if you need more info just post and I will check my diagrams.

Grinding down the "copper" washer under the neutral position switch worked like a charm for me. I would guess it is about 1/3 thinner than it started. Hint: Grind it evenly as it does seal in transmission fluid.

I finally had to to do this over the weekend as my cruise had totally quit.

I went to NAPA and took the factory washer with me. Found a matching copper washer much more thin.

The factory one measured with a dial caliper is .079

The one from NAPA was .030 which looked pretty thin.

Installed it yesterday and my cruise works like a champ.

Monitoring it with the AP shows it turning off and on real sold whereas before it was flickering on and off on its own.

• 1 year later...
Thread resurrection! The cruise control on my GT (manual) started "cancel"ing itself tonight. I'm going to try the washer thing. Anyone tried a new neutral switch? I imagine its pricey, but it seems like a more permanent solution to the issue.

Thread resurrection! The cruise control on my GT (manual) started "cancel"ing itself tonight. I'm going to try the washer thing. Anyone tried a new neutral switch? I imagine its pricey, but it seems like a more permanent solution to the issue.

The washer on the NSS is pretty thick. I would try going to NAPA or another Parts store and find a thinner washer of the same diameter. A buddy of mine did that with his and it worked great.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived