LegacyGT.com

Hey, I am looking at joining the subbie family

:spin:

How are ya'll doing my name is chris. I am from Virginia. I have been looking for a subbie for some time and I finally found a Subaru Legacy GT 2005 with about 76,000miles and going for 12k. My main concern is the reliabilty of the car. I know it is a turbo and after about 60k miles you should rebuild it, which down the line I was planning to do, but I also don't want a lot of problems to deal with right now as I am still in college. I checked consumer report and for the 05 they gave it a below avg rating on the engine. My question is how do these engines hold up? And would it be worth the buy?:confused:

The engines hold up, the turbos on the 05-06 notoriously don't. If you're gunna get an 05 or 06, get them before the turbo was replaced. If you buy one after the turbo was replaced, you don't know if the engine suffered damage from the original one blowing. Shards/shavings from the blown turbo can get sent into the engine pretty easily and can show symptoms of damage upward of a few thousand miles later....

I know it is a turbo and after about 60k miles you should rebuild it. I checked consumer report and for the 05 they gave it a below avg rating on the engine. My question is how do these engines hold up? And would it be worth the buy?

Hey Chris. I've never heard of rebuilding a turbo after 60K miles. More so, unless a new CHRA is available for the turbo, rebuilding is a waste of money and time, IME. I just checked CR and they rated the 05 LGT very high in most categories?

CR.jpg

I've got a hair over 100K on my OEM turbo, and the car still pulls strong. I'm bone stock and don't beat on it, but it runs quite well.

Shards/shavings from the blown turbo can get sent into the engine pretty easily and can show symptoms of damage upward of a few thousand miles later....

Not that I'm doubting you, as you've owned your LGT significantly longer than I have, but has this actually happened? Most cases I've seed of failed turbochargers have resulted in seized wheels, not disintegrating compressors.

Most cases are seized wheels, but if you search on here, you'll find at least a half-dozen cases where a dying turbo has killed the engine.

Similarly, a few members have had catastrophic failure of the cat in the up-pipe wrecking the turbo and then the engine.

Any and All makes and models will have problems and things you have to fix. I'm 100% stock with the stock turbo still at 80,000 miles. Still pulls and spools just like when I bought it! Just change the oil and filter and you can drive worry free! If 05-06s had turbo problems, I would of had it by now! I want to be the few who actually went 200,000 miles on the stock turbo and engine! No signs of anything that I wouldn't make it yet! I also try to always shift right before the 3500rpm turbo kick in area! I don't race or step on it! Unless I have too!

I also try to always shift right before the 3500rpm turbo kick in area! I don't race or step on it!

Soooo..... why didn't you just get a 2.5i if you don't try to use the turbo?:confused:

not trying to be a jerk, just curious to the reasoning behind it....

Soooo..... why didn't you just get a 2.5i if you don't try to use the turbo?:confused:

not trying to be a jerk, just curious to the reasoning behind it....

LOL, sirusly.

I boost, just not all the time or before the engine is warm. Timely oil changes with quality oil and filters is key to a turbo engine longevity. See this thread for more good info :)

Most cases are seized wheels, but if you search on here, you'll find at least a half-dozen cases where a dying turbo has killed the engine.

Similarly, a few members have had catastrophic failure of the cat in the up-pipe wrecking the turbo and then the engine.

Good to know. Glad I have my STI UP on the way :p

Any and All makes and models will have problems and things you have to fix. I'm 100% stock with the stock turbo still at 80,000 miles. Still pulls and spools just like when I bought it! Just change the oil and filter and you can drive worry free! If 05-06s had turbo problems, I would of had it by now! I want to be the few who actually went 200,000 miles on the stock turbo and engine! No signs of anything that I wouldn't make it yet! I also try to always shift right before the 3500rpm turbo kick in area! I don't race or step on it! Unless I have too!

And you bought a GT why ;)?

Because it's the best looking Subaru car. Also needed a awd car here in Minnesota. I also Drive for a living, so I try not to speed and get speeding tickets or I'll be fired, that's the main reason. I also want to be the few who went 200,000 miles on the oem turbo. I do get on it once in a while!

Hey Chris. I've never heard of rebuilding a turbo after 60K miles. More so, unless a new CHRA is available for the turbo, rebuilding is a waste of money and time, IME. I just checked CR and they rated the 05 LGT very high in most categories?

CR.jpg

I've got a hair over 100K on my OEM turbo, and the car still pulls strong. I'm bone stock and don't beat on it, but it runs quite well.

Not that I'm doubting you, as you've owned your LGT significantly longer than I have, but has this actually happened? Most cases I've seed of failed turbochargers have resulted in seized wheels, not disintegrating compressors.

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at the subaru legacy(turbo). On the site they have the 4 cy and the turbo, for the 4 cy it has okay ratings but when I looked at the turbo it was fair with a some engine problems which kind of scared me.

Everything mentioned seems to hold up to what you hear on the forum.

That is a good price, IMO, for the car, I would be a little leary of that. What history does it have, has it been modded?

I am going to go take a look at it in person on saturday, from the carfax and pics it looks stock. I am going to ask him if that is the orginal turbo in it.

Archived