LegacyGT.com

Thinking about trading 2000 S4 lease for purchase of G35 or Legacy (long, questions )

sutter2k

I am coming from a stage 2 2000 S4 w/coilovers(and much more). From the outside, it looks pretty much stock. None of the dealers I tried to trade it in to said anything about modifications.

I have a lease ending is 6 months, but I am about 40,000 miles under. It's supposed to have 95,000 at end. I have 52,000. The car has been very good to me. I have always used Amsoil, not raced and normally avoided hard launch, followed proper turbo cool down procedures, and never driven it hard until the car has warmed up.

However, visits to audiworld.com make me scared to drive the car. The thoughts having to pay ~5,000 to replace turbos are harsh.

In the end, I feel like I never really enjoyed the S4 much as I could have. I was very had on my 1998 supercharged (and more) Maxima and it kept coming back for more. The only problem I ever had with that car were related to the timing chain breaking off of an UR light weight pulley.

I like the fact that the Legacy only has one turbo to replace. In addition, you don't have to remove the engine to get to it. From the looks of it, I might be able to do it myself if I ever needed.

I don't mean to be "harsh" but jumping from my S4 to a stock Legacy or a stock G35 seems like somewhat of a downgrade.

My reasons for hesitation about getting the Legacy are(

Don't take this too harsh, I am very picky):

-Slight nose drive while braking (would need coilovers)

-No one touch up for windows

-Brakes didn't seem to bite very hard.

-turbo lag

When shifting from 1st to 2nd or applying 2nd after coming out of a sharp corner. If you left the rpms drop, turbo lag is very noticeable when applying 2nd. This was very noticeable during a test drive with the ac on. However this isn't a problem in the g35 or the S4. With the legacy there is power is there, just not as refined.

-wish rims were at least 7.5 inches wide

-Shifter is okay, but G35 shifter has a much better feel.

-no mp3/sat connectivity.

Despite my hesitations, the Legacy appears very mod friendly. I would probably jump to stage 2, coilovers, and stainless steel brake lines pretty quickly. In addition prices seem very good. I am looking to purchase this time. With kids in the future, house payments, and the treat of out sourcing perhaps its better not to spend too much on a car.

I do have a couple of questions:

Is there a remote button to move up/down all windows / moonroof? Can all windows be closed just be holding key in lock position(from drivers side).

G35 seems faster on the highway. Stock G35's pull 100mph e.t's in the 1/4. In looking around, 100mph+ et's seem rare for Legacys. What does it take to a Legacy to pull on a stock G35(manual) on the highway? Will stage 2 do it?

I am currently able to pull on coupe's and Z's without much problem.

thanks,

Matt

92k miles for a 4 year lease...the price on that must be through the roof!!!

As far as your concerns...most of them can certainly be covered with aftermarket. Power, brakes, nose dive, all this is easily fixable.

One touch up / down on the windows and moonroof is going to be difficult. There is no remote feature for this.

mp3 you can do something about, but right now there is no direct way without some splicing of wires. JL Cleansweep would help in that area.

I would suspect from others comments on here that stage 2 would easily pull on a G35.

sutter2k...yeah, you'll miss some things, you'll still have your heart flutter when you see an Audi on the road, but the LegGT will grow on you....trust me, I had S6, B6 S4, and I got used to the slight lack of amenities....more than made up for the increase in reliability, added stealthness, fuel economy (B6 S4 was more of a gas pig than a Hummer, check it out), and more.

re: 92k miles for a 4 year lease...the price on that must be through the roof!!!

4 1/2 years and it started with 25k already on it...

price per month wasn't that bad ~450.00 However, I put too much down on it (8k). I will never put that much down on a lease again. Residual will be 13k in Dec.

I think I would buyout the S4 if you were that much under the mileage and re-sell it or keep it.

I was cross shopping a 2000-2001 S4 vs. a 05 Legacy GT and ended up with the Subaru btw. It was a much better value in my eyes. But considering all the time/money that went into the S4 I'd hang onto it.

re: hang on to S4

I am still considering that too. Residual is 13,200 at lease end.

According to kbb private sale is 19/18k(dealer 20+). Trade in is 16k. Current buyout is 17k.

I can't believe I am this far under on miles, but I am still down 1000 on trade in. However, at this point in time "value" is dropping slower than lease buyout. They should cross soon.

Matt

re: really tells me that you want a G35

I have been back and forth. Stock I like the way the G35 drives better.

I like the mod friendlyness of the legacy and awd is a "+".

The mod friendlyness could be a bad thing though :)

vs. just being happy with what it is.

A dealer by me has a black "new" 2004 g35 MT for 1750 under "dealer cost". I am not sure if that is a good price or not.

Archived