LegacyGT.com

Venting about the Junkyard/PicknPull

I'm just venting about how annoyed I am with the yard that I got my engine from. I purchased a 95 EJ22 from them for $600 under the pretenses that it was in good running condition and is warrantied for 101 days. They ordered it from another yard, looked it over, and sold it to me. The first one they delivered to me I sent back because it looked like junk and sh*t was missing.

I have had to replace the IACV, Coil Pack and Wires, and the Knock Sensor just to get this thing running right. I haven't bought the new knock sensor yet so we'll see if anything else pops up after this.

I called them up about it, they said I'm on my own, because if the engine was going into the same car that it came out of, I could just swap parts from my old engine to fix it. Also, they believe that the 98 OBW ECU does not like the sensors/electrical parts on the 95 engine because it's a different ECU. Had it been the same car as the donor car, and switching parts over didn't work, they would have worked with me.

Just aggravated about having to spend an extra $300 for parts to fix an engine that was supposedly in "good running condition".

• I Donated

junkyard engines are usually guarenteed not to knock or smoke. all of the extra accessories on it are just included, but have no warranty.

You're going from an OBDII engine, to a pre OBDII engine. You're going to run into some conversion problems. Thats not the junkyards fault

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

first, never let the salvage yard know the engine is going into a different car. if they ask, it's going into the exact same car the engine came out of. all they know is what their software tells them.

second, obd 1or 2 has nothing to do with it. if the wiring harness connector matches then you are good. legos went obd 2 in '95 (maybe the odd 94??), i think imprezas waited until 96.

what is wrong with your car??

what is it doing?

first, never let the salvage yard know the engine is going into a different car. if they ask, it's going into the exact same car the engine came out of. all they know is what their software tells them.

second, obd 1or 2 has nothing to do with it. if the wiring harness connector matches then you are good. legos went obd 2 in '95 (maybe the odd 94??), i think imprezas waited until 96.

what is wrong with your car??

what is it doing?

That was my mistake at the beginning; I didn't have all the info in front of me and I couldn't remember which year EJ22s were dual-port, so I fudged that up when I was trying to figure out which one I needed so they knew something was up. Also, there's no guarantee that the shop it was delivered to wouldn't have said something to them about it.

I finally got it working now, had to replace the IACV (took off the old engine), buy a new coil-pack (did wires while I was at it too) and finally a new knock sensor. Car drives great now. Did have a misfire on #3 today, but it went away; don't know what would cause a misfire besides what I already replaced.

Only issue now is that it is randomly doing something like binding I guess when I turn the wheel to the right while driving. Doesn't do it when I turn it to the left. I'm currently trying to dig up info on this, don't think it's engine related though?

The Legacy went OBD2 in 1995.

Lots of people confuse the OBD1 port on the BC/BF chassis cars for an OBD2 port. It isn't one.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm sorry but the junk yard I go to is in hagerstown only about an hour from DC

You're also close to West Virginia where they play the banjo and re-enact scenes from Deliverance. That's a little different from yards that are actually in the DC-metro area. Hagerstown is the boonies. I know. I have an ex from there.

Archived