LegacyGT.com

New struts finally, replacing ones with 225,000+ miles on them

I have a 96 legacy with 314,000 miles on it and I changed the front struts for the first time today. I believe they were the originals because they still had the "spring guards" on that were installed in 01' under a recall notice. I got the car in 04 and have put 200k on it, so even if it had a set of struts put on it before the recall add on they still had at least 225,000 miles on them but most likely they are original with 314k!! Pretty dam good if you ask me! Props to Subaru

They still had some dampening left but not much, they were pretty toasted. Both springs were broke too, $90/each at the dealer. Ouch, but oh well no aftermarket available.

I don't have time to hunt to see what else might work and do a bunch of dicking around chasing parts and asking a million questions. I just wanted to replace what was broken and I was fine with the way it rode and handled before. And for struts and springs to last that long makes them that much cheaper. Any GM car I know of blows struts every 40k. Sometimes I don't know why I even post on forums. All I wanted to do was say what a quality product Subaru has and how long it lasted.

I don't have time to hunt to see what else might work and do a bunch of dicking around chasing parts and asking a million questions. I just wanted to replace what was broken and I was fine with the way it rode and handled before. And for struts and springs to last that long makes them that much cheaper. Any GM car I know of blows struts every 40k. Sometimes I don't know why I even post on forums. All I wanted to do was say what a quality product Subaru has and how long it lasted.

They were just saying that you could have potentially picked up a better product for cheaper. No one was slamming you for staying with the stock struts and springs. People on forums are generally focused on improving upon their current configurations, that's all.

Both springs were broke too, $90/each at the dealer. Ouch, but oh well no aftermarket available.

i was merely correcting you that there ARE other options than stock from the dealer. relax.

What have you done to the engine after 314k?!

Just routine maintenance. pvc valve, timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets. And a couple of misc components, Idle air control, oil pressure sender, one alternator and a couple of belts. A/C still blows cold!

The compression is down on a couple of cylinders but not off the charts and it still runs great.

They were just saying that you could have potentially picked up a better product for cheaper. No one was slamming you for staying with the stock struts and springs. People on forums are generally focused on improving upon their current configurations, that's all.

Yes I know. sorry I was wound up the other day for some reason

But I have sat back and watched my buddies and many other people modify and improve and screw around with their daily driver and some, not all end up with nothing but problems and things going wrong. I chose to leave my daily driver bone stock and the thing has been great for the last 7 years. Most of them are on their 3rd vehicle since I have had this. I am not saying nothing can happen to it or it can't be improved but I take the conservative route. I do the modifying/experimenting/improving on the non essential transportation, bike and a sled.

Archived