LegacyGT.com

AnyOne Put On a Roof Rack on their WaGon?

mtnsubie

i need to load bikes on the roof and wanted to know what folks out there are using. i was dissappointed to find my bike wouldn't fit in the trunk area of my wagon. i should've tried it out b4, but anyhow i still love the car.

whats UP (on the roof) out there?

i ordered a thule base rack. it seems they're load bars have a higher wt cap and they just look cleaner to me than yaks. then with the thule's square load bars, i'm going to make my own bike mounts using steel plate and exhaust clamps and fork mounts. then i'll rear-mount the bikes (bike's rear facing forward) so i can fully open the trunk. it looks like the name brand bike mounts will extend the rear of the bike so far that the trunk cannot open.

it might look a bit funky and extend over the windshield though, but if i add slots to the steel plate i can have fore/aft adjustment to center the bike over the rack/car.

what do ya think?

I run my rack towards the back of my wagon and run the rails on the outside of the rack and I can fully open my liftgate with no problems. It seems like whatever clean look you get from using Thule bars over Yak bars you will lose with home made rails. Will you be able to lock your rails? Will you be able to lock the rails to the car? I would spend the cash and have a system I can lock to my car and lock my bike on. Just my thoughts. Have you looked into Rocky Mounts? Local company with nice rails.

I have the Thule set meannt for the LGT. It's got a major flaw in design, buut nothing that can't be fixed with a Dremel and about 15 minuntes. Basically, the rails get closer together towards the back of the car and Thule didn't leave enough adjustment in the system to push the rear bar more than about 30-32 inches from the front. It's a shame, since a wider base is more stable. I fixed mine and now can put the rear cross bar as far back as I need to. According to Thule and their dealers, 30" spread is enough. Sorry, but it looks funny to me on a wagon.

oh my. that's good to know. so theres a slight taper to the rear you mean? that's not good.

phamilton,

so the rails don't extend beyond into the liftgate? does it clear even with bikes there? i didn't get the racks yet, but it looked like it wouldn't clear when i put my bike on the car. as for the mounts i'm making. they'll be shorties, so will only have the plate on the two bars,not extending across to the load bars. i'll paint them blk to match also, so they should blend in well enough.

my mounts won't lock of course, but i'll be cabling or ny kryptonite the bikes. those locks on the mounts are only good for quick theft attempts anyhow. yeah, the rocky mounts look good and actually have better reviews than the yaks or thules too. and cheaper to boot. if i do decide later to just get the mounts, i'll get those.

roofline and rails are something like this:

|..........|

.|........|

..|......|

Not that extreme, but several inches narrower at the back than the front.

cool. so your yaks clear. can you still fully open the liftgate when the bike is mounted? i thought the tire would hit.

big thanks for the pics. what'd you pay for the base yak? its the ez riders and two 48" load bars right?

oh i see you placed the mounts outboard of the car's width. i'd be afraid of running to close to objects being that the handlebars will stick out another 13+". makes for a wide outer width when driving. any probs with that set up?

patagonian,

yeah, the taper towards the rear. how much did you need to cut from the load bar? inches instead of fractions of an inch? yipes. that means that load bar is only good for that specific distance or placement on the towers, then, yeah?

this is the thule 440 subaru specialty rack right?

What trees? This is Colorado! :lol: I had my previous Suby Wgn set up the same and have never had that issue. If you are close enough to touch a tree or rock your most likely taking your mirror off.

Sorry if I'm dense on this. I want to get a square set of crossbars and looking at the Subaru set (feet and crossbars). Is the Thule better made? What's the deal with all this "slotting" of the bars or feet? Can I not move the feet and main square crossbar all the way to the rear of the roof on the factory rails for some reason, or are you talking about the bike racks themselves?

Thanks.

The Thule is lockable and is universal for all their products. Not sure if you can use Thule on the Subaru bars. The issue is with the Thule kit itself....the rails on the wagon are closer together at the back of the car than they are at the front. Thule didn't leave enough adjustment on the inboard side of the towers....the front fits fine since it's wider, but you need to take a Dremel and extend each slot inboard about 3/8". It fits perfect then. Try a search in this forum by my name and 'thule racks'. There is a thread with pics, IIRC.

Archived