LegacyGT.com

No Power, Loud Noise, HELP!

I've owned this LGT now for about a year and have had 0 problems up until now... last night i was driving and heard a noise, from what i think, the transmission... the noise continued to get louder and within a mile i lost all power and the car stalled, i'm having the car towed today but i have no clue what it could be... its the 5EAT tranny and the car is completely stock with 111,000 miles... any ideas what it could be?:confused: thanks

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW you can get a new OEM short block for 2000. from Fred Beans have your heads freshened up and get a new turbo from BNR. Check out the Powertrain forum below.

I'm thinking about going that route. I've priced a few junkyards, these engines are not cheap. One place wanted $3600 less the turbo.

I have time, where you don't. I'm in no big hurry.

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

thanks for all the help... my mechanic seems to know a place where he can find a used boxxer for $1200 with around 40,000 miles... do you think this is not a good option given the mileage? also, will the swap be successful or will it be a bi***?

A used boxxer for 1200. is it the same EJ25 not just any boxxer will do. How is your turbo ?

If he's doing all the work and will garrenty the engine for 90 day's or more...might not be a bad deal.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgable guy's will chime in here soon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

alright, so after looking for an engine we found that with a turbo there was nothing less than 3500 with a turbo... with such high costs i had my car towed to the dealer where i bought the car... do you think if we harass Subaru a bit that they'll help us out with repair costs regardless that the warranty is expired?

Like the guy at the local junkyard said to me the other day when I asked about getting a EJ255.

He laughted and said, "good luck with that thought".

I highly doubt they will help you out.

yehp, they did not come through haha... alright so now i'm faced with either purchasing a new engine and turbo and having it installed or having this one rebuilt with the purchase of a new turbo only... what would your advice be? i just dont want my engine to have problems down the road if i choose to rebuild the engine and replace only the turbo... any advice would be helpful

I had my engine rebuilt about 1 1/2 year years ago and it's still good so far! They only replaced parts that were bad and kept the good stuff. So I have a new and used engine with a final price of around $3500. I say just rebuilt it. It will be quicker than trying to order or wait for parts to come. They even included a 2 year or 24,000 mile warranty. Ask your mechanic if he can offer anything like this to you if you decide to rebuilt it.

• 3 weeks later...
we're doing this right now. dealership quoted us $10K+ for a new engine. towed it right back out of there - esp as they installed this engine at 44K, 2 years ago! We just bought the car in Feb, with 59K on it - so a dealership/tech installed engine lasted 18K? Neither SoA nor the dealership were decent - you're not going to get anywhere with them. Nope, they don't get a second chance to screw up on our dime! Also considered a junkyard replacement, but found that they were pricey, turbos were extra, and very few had any kind of decent warranty. Hoping to opt for a rebuild; at a machine shop and it is taking a while, but looks like it'll be possible. Will still have to buy a turbo, too. Good luck!

we're doing this right now. dealership quoted us $10K+ for a new engine. towed it right back out of there - esp as they installed this engine at 44K, 2 years ago! We just bought the car in Feb, with 59K on it - so a dealership/tech installed engine lasted 18K? Neither SoA nor the dealership were decent - you're not going to get anywhere with them. Nope, they don't get a second chance to screw up on our dime! Also considered a junkyard replacement, but found that they were pricey, turbos were extra, and very few had any kind of decent warranty. Hoping to opt for a rebuild; at a machine shop and it is taking a while, but looks like it'll be possible. Will still have to buy a turbo, too. Good luck!

:eek::eek::eek:

$10k, omg, find a local performance shop that deals with subaru builds...will cost less and can rebuild your existing engine more than likely...

• I Donated
+1 on taking it to a 3rd party shop that specializes in Subarus. I went to a Subaru speed shop, and they sold me an engine from a 2006 WRX with only 17k on it for $2000. I put it in myself, but labor shouldn't be much more than $2000, if it's even that much.

not very educated on how the rebuild will/should go but from what the mechanic at the subaru dealer told me is that they've tried rebuilding on two engines, specifically both lgt's and they found that 3,000 miles later both let go... he said its because they're very precise with electronics and any altering is hard on it... i thought about rebuilding until i heard this but i just wanted to give you a heads up... i understand its a lot cheaper and these darn engines are so expensive new and even used

not very educated on how the rebuild will/should go but from what the mechanic at the subaru dealer told me is that they've tried rebuilding on two engines, specifically both lgt's and they found that 3,000 miles later both let go... he said its because they're very precise with electronics and any altering is hard on it... i thought about rebuilding until i heard this but i just wanted to give you a heads up... i understand its a lot cheaper and these darn engines are so expensive new and even used

What dealer are you talking to? Maine has absolute total crap for dealerships (except for Evergreen Subaru I'm told). I'm not going to name drop the ones I know are bad, or go into detail with what I've had done to me/seen done from the dealers in this state, but there are some bad stories.

• I Donated
Also, their explanations don't add up. Bearing failures and turbo failures are completely mechanical, with at best tangential effects from electronics and tuning. A rebuild, similarly, has nothing to do with the engine's electronic controls. My guess is they tried to rebuild shortblocks with serious integrity issues rather than ordering new shortblocks and re-using heads. In which case, the failures are not due to tight tolerances, but rather gross incompetence.

yeah that ^^^

Seriously, if they had two engines die on them in less than 3,000 miles they aren't doing something right. Go elsewhere. Make sure the external oil system is flushed or replaced (hoses, filters, banjo bolt filter, oil cooler, etc.), get new shortblock and reuse the heads, new timing kit, new turbo is probably a good idea as well at that mileage.

I will now caveat my statement by saying I have not had this experience yet.

I have no problem naming names - Cumberland Valley Subaru, in PA. Nightmare of a place. Never mentioned that the tension bearing went - timing belt was nearly rubbed through from contact with the guides inside the cover, and yet they insist that "poor maintenance" on the part of the first owner was cause - despite the engine being perfectly well lubricated. Charged us an "adjusted" price of $585 to tell us that a bearing went. Plus, while there the car was keyed to the tune of nearly 1K in paint damage.

If we go with the rebuild, there's a year warranty - better than what we can get on most drop ins, and hopefully cheaper.

Archived