LegacyGT.com

Navigation and HVAC?

BAC5.2

As I prepare to build my Navigation Installation wiring harness, I'm curious what the Navigation monitor has to do with HVAC?

There are 4 wires on a 20-pin (the i120) connector that connect to the i88 connector on the back of the HVAC unit.

So what does it do?

I know that I don't HAVE to hook it up, but I'd hate to give up some functionality of the system.

Any ideas?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It doesn't really have anything to do with HVAC. The nav monitor unit sends the turn-by-turn audio prompts to the HU, and they picked the i88 harness to do that.

They use two pins for the line-level audio signal. Two other pins are used to signal the HU that the nav wants to speak (so the HU mutes music from the front speakers) and to sound the chime tone. See this post, and the schematics for the monitor and HU.

Outside North America, they use pins on the HU's 20-pin expansion bus connector (normally used for external CD changer, sat radio tuner modules, iPod adatper, etc.).

Interesting. So I actually don't need those at all since I am using the KNA-G510 instead of the DVD based unit. That is good news.

Looks like I'm a dozen solder joints away from being ready to bolt-in! This project is actually really easy once you sit down and write it up.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The way I understand it is if the SatNav sees a hard right or left turn ahead, it changes the cold air delivery through the dual zone climate control to account for cold air being more dense than warm air. That way when you go around the hard corner, all the cold air does not shift to one side of the car (you know, 'cause of inertia).

Archived