LegacyGT.com

location of spin on filter 4eat

armax1980

Same location for both the 4EAT and 5EAT. it is sandwiched between the fender and battery. You will need to remove the battery and you will see it. Looks just like an oil filter, black in color. I've attached the relevant page out of the service manual.

Be warned that it is messy to remove. Place something absorbent underneath it because when you unscrew it, you will spill ATF that is in the filter.

1280943575_ATFFilter.thumb.jpg.18b744b893b30cb364338713ebea9fac.jpg

NO! The transmission filter, although it looks like an oil filter, is not the same thing. It does not have a bypass valve, for one.

I'm asking because WIX list the same part numbers for oil and transmission filter.

Amsoil also indicates you use a plain oil filter as the tranny filter.

I would not go aftermarket in this regard. Stick with OEM. It is not that spendy (much more expensive than an oil filter though) and you are not supposed to have to change it anyways. Once in 50K miles at most is plenty. A healthy transmission will not shed any significant amount of crap.

There was another thread somewhere where some guy said that using the generic transmission filter will always cause it to leak. Also make sure you get a new crush washer for the drain plug if not it leaks as well. Ask me how I know!

X

---

amsoil

i would not go aftermarket in this regard. Stick with oem. It is not that spendy (much more expensive than an oil filter though) and you are not supposed to have to change it anyways.

x2

Archived