LegacyGT.com

DIY: Subaru Axle Replacement (Front)

I removed just 4 connectors 1) 32mm axle nut, 2) sway bar linkage, 3) lower control arm ball joint, 4) spring pin.

Lessons learned:

Drop screwdriver into rotor slot instead of having someone push on brake pedal to brace rotor when removing axle nut. (suggestion from someone else. works great).

32mm axle nut, penetrating oil day before. keep oil off rotor and pads. dremel tool to cut out axle nut indent. penetrating oil. put 32mm socket over nut and hit 4-5 times with hammer. shock seems to break hold of nut and threads and allow penetrating oil to penetrate just tiny bit deeper. long 4-6'+ pipe over breaker bar for leverage. try to loosen. won't budge. try to tighten. try to loosen. won't budge. try to tighten. etc. penetrating oil, 32mm socket over nut, bang 3-4 times with hammer. Tighten, loosen, etc. Just working it back and forth to break the hold of the nut a fraction to get it started. Loosen and remove.

Drive pin out from the countersunk end so it comes out of the plain non-countersunk end (I think, but I can't remember and i don't know if this matters).

When it comes time to REINSTALL THE PIN into the new axle drive it IN FROM THE COUNTERSUNK SIDE. I did NOT realize this and it RUINED my day.

also install the pin part way BEFORE sliding new axle on.

Yeah, putting the pin partially in BEFORE you put the axle in is something I learned the first time 'round.

As far as breaking the axle nut loose, I've given up using hand tools on those. Between the two on my car and the one on my friend's Silverado, I've learned to always have an impact gun on hand (though that's easier for me with the air tank in the car.) Jumping up and down on a four-foot-long pipe attached to a breaker bar is annoying for quite a few reasons... especially when it doesn't work. Not only does an impact break the nut loose fairly easily, but it does so even with that indent tapped in on the nut. I hit that indent a bit with a flat-head screwdriver to bring it out a little but I'm not even sure if that's necessary with an impact gun since that seems to take it right off.

Archived