LegacyGT.com

Water Leak Discovered!

Let's just say I am not the happiest Subie owner right now. I have had this car for a little over one month now, car currently has less than 13K miles. I already have warranty QMR in with SOA for wheel corrosion and now....WATER IS LEAKING INTO MY PASSENGER SIDE FLOORBOARD! See the pictures attached. The first two show the darker water on the floorboard (decent amount of water has leaked there). The last two shows drops hanging on the underside of dash (notice the glisten of water on the back wall and wires). Note: this is in the exact area of the two green test mode connectors. I know this because I just found them and knew what they were thanks to this site (so thanks to someone).

My car: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited with factory sunroof, <13K mile

History: Car was purchased used with 10K from Cleavland, OH area. Previous owner obviously did not drive this car much (why?). I have his Subaru listed name and number, maybe a call is in order soon. Car appeared very clean, no odor like there could be a long history of a leak.

Here is the story:

Conditions: 35 mile of interstate driving in medium to heavy rain and road spray, 9 mile of streets and back roads. Outside Temperature 65-72*F

Car was ran 100% of the time with front defroster on mixed with foot/floor, fan speed varied from low to high, dual automatic climate control was set 74-77*F with fresh air.

Out of some weird way am I to blame for having it set to fresh air instead of recirculate? Is this the whole cause? I have driven many cars and have sold parts in retail auto parts store to thousands of car owners and have never personally heard of a case where having your HVAC set to fresh air would cause water ingress into the car. I am all aware that defrost does run the AC system drier. My leak would be more from the evaporator(?) and/or box area.

A search on here, didn't reveal anything (maybe I am not a good forums searcher). However a Google search revealed this:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/joecamel90/2010-06-02_182359_hose.pdf

It seems the MY05+ does have a drain tube issue (due to spiders, thought I had read about that and it was related to a fuel vent). Could this be the cause? Does or would rain water, drain through this too? I would think that the sensible design and the ones I have seen in the past have the drain for sunroof going down the pillars and draining out under car. Same for cowl venting.

At this point I wish I had a factory manual, so I could see the body diagrams and HVAC system. The car will be going to my local dealer ASAP (which on the first visit for service, didn't impress me much).

Where does the sunroof vents go?

I really hate this. I love my Legacy but my last car (a 05 Corolla) also had leakage issue with clogged sunroof drain and leaking windshield, that took 2 dealers, 3 tries to fix. If this is sun roof related, I will never own a car with a sunroof again.

Any information, car service manuals, diagram's or TSB's you know of would help?

1166583021_DSC01590(2).thumb.jpg.f9c42b24b3bad9d841b0f4f274b9faa7.jpg

1251233888_DSC01591(2).thumb.jpg.d211fa0bf8c5ea1d680b3613b2d8d432.jpg

299255457_DSC01592(2).thumb.jpg.a94c2a4530a2a714911fbcaf1323ae6a.jpg

70248624_DSC01593(2).thumb.jpg.c59ed30fec974af6cf73dd6683e801e5.jpg

Take a small air hose and blow air up into the A/C drain tube on the firewall behind the turbo. That will remove the clug in the drain tube.

It's a common thing that needs to be done every spring sometimes. My 92 civic had the same issue.

BTW, sorry I didn;t read your whole post, just saw water leak and the pictures.

PM'ed you a link

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Take a small air hose and blow air up into the A/C drain tube on the firewall behind the turbo. That will remove the clug in the drain tube.

It's a common thing that needs to be done every spring sometimes. My 92 civic had the same issue.

BTW, sorry I didn;t read your whole post, just saw water leak and the pictures.

No problem, it is a long post. I didn't see much on here about it, so I wanted to document it well for others. Thanks a million for the PM, I will use that!

Update: It was still raining and still leaking. This morning I set it to recirculate. Had about 7 drips on floor.

It's at the dealer now, they were not busy and pulled it right in. Gave them a copy of the TSB 10-77-08- Water Leak from A/C Evaporator Drain Hose. They were familiar with it. If that is not it they use the Water Doctor company. Same company that attempted my Corolla repair before I made the selling Honda dealer take it next door to the Toyota dealer. Lets hope they fix it and fix it right without causing other issues like dash rattles. However, I will take the rattle over a leak.

Dealer called and claimed it is fixed.

The evaporator drain hose was pinched just as TSB 10-77-08 describes.

Find out later this week when it is supposed to rain again. Might run it through the car wash or dump a bucket on it to check before then.

Archived