LegacyGT.com

Replacing the Struts (Stock ---> KYB GR2's)... Tips?

So I attempted to do my struts today on base at the Auto hobby shop and FAiLed... Apparently our cars are the only Subarus where the brake lines PASS THROUGH the strut "holder thingie", so the only way to remove the strut from the car is to SEPARATE THE BRAKE LINE!!! When I saw this (after sweating my ass off for about 2 hours wrestling with 14 year old bolts in the 90* Alabama heat) I cussed up a storm, and then decided it would be better to just put it all back together and ask on here before attempting again... I really don't want to separate the brake line if possible because the more stuff you start doing, the more complex and the more room for error there is...

Struts are simple on my STi, there has to be a trick to get the brake lines out of the strut "holder thing" (genuinely don't know what it's called) on the Legacy without introducing air to my brake system...

Any tips?? The Autohobby shop is closed Monday and Tuesday, so I have tomorrow and Tuesday to research and come up with options... Honestly at this point I am about to just take a hack saw and cut those little clips off of the struts and use zip-ties to secure the brake lines (Did this on the STi because it's simple and works)...

Cut the tab that forms the pass through. Bending it back and forth will break it. Keep the clips.

Cut a notch in the new struts enough to slide line through,but still enough for the clip to reattach.

the new clips did not hold, but the old one's did when I did mine.

Or you can zip tie the line to hole.

O.

Yes I cut throug the tabs and brackets, the used zipties to hold in place. no issues..

The first side i did I removed the brake line, then said screw it after that. Had to bleed my brakes :(

Alright, so today is the day... In just a few hours I'm gonna give it a go again with the plan being to cut the end of the brake line holder so that the brake line simply slides out after the retaining clip is removed...

One question though... Getting to the rear top hats on a Wagon... How is the plastic piece removed? I can't seem to pry it off. Is there a screw or something I'm not seeing?? Thanks much :)

I have a sedan, but what plastic piece are you referring to?

Inside the vehicle ? On my BD I have a metal plate that secures the strut to the car. But it is held by three nuts which you can plainly see.

Have fun

O.

No worries guys, just finished the job about an hour ago... Rides SOOOO Much better now!!

Anyway, I have 4 doner struts if anyone is interested in them... Priced and next to nothing (shipping will probably be more than what I'd ask for them :) )...

Glad it all worked out.

Give it two weeks for them to settle in and have your alignment checked.

O.

Wait, you reckon I should wait 2 weeks before getting the alignment done? I have an appointment this afternoon because I wanted to make sure that it's straight and true so my new tires don't wear bad... Are you saying I shouldn't get it alighed yet?

Regret I didn't see your post earlier.

You generally wait to give the springs and struts a chance to settle in. They need drive time.

If you've done it now, things may change after wear in.

O.

if you just did new struts w/ stock or used springs, you can get aligned whenever. If u put brand new springs, wait a few days and hit some rough pavement.

EXACTLY what I did... And as a DD (and the way I drive my DD's - like a grandma) I LOVE the ride quality :)...

So what can happen if you don't reattach your brake lines to the strut? lol

Honestly, probably not much. I mean yes there is a possibility that they will move around as the suspension and wheels turn (fronts), and MAY get caught in something moving, brake off and then you'll loose all brakes... But really, probably nothing will happen...

That said, it's alot better to be on the safe side, wouldn't you agree? I don't know about you, but I care ALOT more about my brakes working than my engine working... :)

Archived