LegacyGT.com

AC Heat Dash Control Panel 1995Legacy

Hello all,

I've noticed that AC/Heater control panel is not venting ac/heat air from the dash vents. Seems also to turn on the AC when I push the defroster control button. Seems to be stuck on blowing air on the floor. Except when I push the Defroster button. Fresh air/Recirculate button works. I pulled the control panel and checked continuity, only got a reading on the Fresh air button. I thought that I could unplug the panel and jump from ground to the pin that would move the door to vent the air to the dash vents. Just proceeded to pop the fan fuse. Jumping across pins had no effect, except for the Fresh air button. My thinking at this time is I have a bad control panel AND a bad motor for the dash vent door. I'm I on the right train of thought? For some reason it just doesn't seem like I'm on the right path.

Thanks in advance to the braintrust.

Gbrown

the defrost does / is supposed to turn on the a/c.

you have a bad control unit. someone recently posted they took theirs out and worked with it and re-installed it. all better. i replaced mine with a used unit.

there is a great write up on the removal, it is related to replacing the illumination bulbs on the back side of the unit. (bet you didn't even know it had bulbs to light it up, i didn't.)

when removing the unit. it is easier to undo the heater control cable at the bottom, floor end than to mess with it at the top, control end.

the hvac controls are about 35$ used. get one and replace the bulbs before you install it. do a search for the post / link.

http://www.car-part.com

When I bought mine, every button was very hard to press and none of the buttons lit up. I just took it out, cleaned up every possible component, and replaced the bulbs. It worked perfectly afterwards.

Cleaning it will work wonders.

i just had this problem with the outback i just bought, when i bought the car the vents were stuck in the middle then all of a sudden it started working again but i didnt want to deal with it working on and off randomly. I just went and pulled one from a newer outback at the junkyard and so far it has worked without fault.

the defrost does / is supposed to turn on the a/c.

you have a bad control unit. someone recently posted they took theirs out and worked with it and re-installed it. all better. i replaced mine with a used unit.

there is a great write up on the removal, it is related to replacing the illumination bulbs on the back side of the unit. (bet you didn't even know it had bulbs to light it up, i didn't.)

when removing the unit. it is easier to undo the heater control cable at the bottom, floor end than to mess with it at the top, control end.

the hvac controls are about 35$ used. get one and replace the bulbs before you install it. do a search for the post / link.

www.car-part.com

It worked for a bit and then started acting up again. Was gonna get a used one to put in there but now I need a new engine so yeah.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I am having the same problem, it just stopped blowing through the forward vents and hit the floor vents during a storm outside of Chicago... Has replacing the control unit fixed this pretty much every time?

Not for me, I replaced the control unit, still doesn't work. Techs wanted to replace everything for a lot of $$$. Motor underneath the dash works fine. I helped the mechanism with my finger to make the control arms move to open the dash vents in the summer, and close them to defrost/floor in the winter....car isn't worth enough to spend those kind of bucks, to replace it all. Sorry

Not for me, I replaced the control unit, still doesn't work. Techs wanted to replace everything for a lot of $$$. Motor underneath the dash works fine. I helped the mechanism with my finger to make the control arms move to open the dash vents in the summer, and close them to defrost/floor in the winter....car isn't worth enough to spend those kind of bucks, to replace it all. Sorry

Where is the mechanism located? I haven't been able to tear into it since I'm still on vacation, but if it's easy to get to ill do it for the ride home

To the OP. Mine did/does the same thing sometimes. The blend door was not moving properly. The cam to control it moves but it just won't always move the door. When it's acting up I can hear it faintly clicking as it tries to move the door. I followed the noise and found the slotted cam where the blend bar thingie hooks to it. It's above the gas pedal, a few inches to the right, white in color, grease all over it. Tap it and it might move to the desired position like mine does. I suppose I could fix it, but I just move it twice in the season. Def/floor blend during cold times, face vent during the hot season.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived