LegacyGT.com

What youve ALL been waiting for! PROTUNER!

sleepin gt

Greetings from Ian at Harman Motive!

YES ITS FINALLY HERE--- the long awaited Cobb ProTuner for AccessPorts! Harman Motive is the only tuning shop on the West Coast with this powerful new software.

ProTuner allows us to program custom dyno-tuned maps onto your AccessPort. At last, the convenience and flexibility of the AccessPort with the custom tuning Harman Motive is known for. With custom tuning, we are able to extract the maximum RELIABLE and CONSISTANT power out of your vehicle. Furthermore, we can program multiple maps for race gas, autocrossing, even valets!

Harman Motive ProTune Package

- Basline Dyno of Your Vehicle (find out what power your were making on the base mapping)

- 1.5hrs of Custom Dyno Tuning

- Complete management and organization of your AccessPort Maps

Introduced at $445

For highly modified vehicles, additional tuning is available at $200 per hour.

*Valid through June 31st, 2005.

__________________________________________________ _______________

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What vehicles can be ProTuned?

Any Subaru with an AccessPort (any accessport, whether you purchased it from us or not). This includes:

- Impreza WRX 2002-2005

- Impreza WRX STI 2004-2005

- Legacy GT 2005-

- Forester XT 2005-

- JDM Subaru ECUs

How much power will I gain from being custom tuned?

Power gains vary heavily by vehicle. Custom tuning allows us to extract the maximum safe horsepower while improving drivabilty, spool, and overall power characterstics. We focus on correcting detonation, air fuel, boost, and stuttering issues before shooting for power increases. On most of our test vehicles, we saw an increase of 10WHP and 20TQ peak combined with significant increases in horsepower and torque throughout the powerband - all while running far safer air-fuel ratios and similar boost levels.

10HP for $445 - are you guys crazy?

Hardly. Gains in peak horsepower and torque are only the beginning. The focus of custom tuning is properly calibrating your vehicles mapping for the best overall driving experience - not just bragging rights. Furthermore, by taking advantage of multiple maps, we can create high-octane fuel maps that will drastically increase your horsepower and torque - often with only a few gallons of race gas! How does 30-40 extra WHP sound at the push of a button? Proper calibration of your engine management can save you thousands in unneccesary mofications and repairs in the future - there is no better modification available for any vehicle than proper tuning.

How many maps do I get?

Most vehicles will receive two maps in the standard time (1.5 hrs) - usually a pump gas map and a high-octane map (we stock high octane fuels - no need to bring it). We will not replace quality with quantity, so if you want 10 maps... it might take a while http://images.nasioc.com/ubb-files/smilies/biggrin.gif

Can I get less than two maps? How about more than two?

It is up to you. However, the base price for ANY ProTuning is $445. Extra mapping is available at our standard $200/hr tuning rate.

What if I want to get retuned later - do I have to spend $445 again?

As with all of our other tuning services, after the initial purchase - all tuning is billed at $200/hr. That means you can continue to upgrade and tune without spending an arm and a leg!

Can I get Harman Motive maps without dyno tuning?

Not at this time - all ProTuned maps must be custom tuned to your vehicle. We are working on a solution to this with Cobb and should have something for you guys later this summer (Harman Motive AccessPorts).

Can I be tuned if I have non-standard modifications (non-Cobb parts)?

Absolutely, this is the greatest benefit of custom mapping. We will tune your vehicle to extract the maximum performance out of your modifications - regardless of manufacturer or application. This means you are no longer limited to IHI series turbos, particular intake systems, or even the stock motor. You've already spent good money on your parts - now put them to work!

Can I keep my old maps? Can I flash back to stock?

All of your AccessPort's normal functions are maintained with a ProTune. This includes base maps, real time maps, valet maps, security mode, etc. Part of our ProTune package includes organizing the maps in your AccessPort. Let us know what you want to keep and what you want deleted - we'll handle the rest.

ProTuner was just released - how do I know you guys are any good?

We conducted two weeks of beta-testing to ensure that the quality you've come to expect from Harman Motive has been translated into every ProTuned map. Furthermore, we have years of experience in reflashing Subaru ECUs of all modification levels. While the ProTuner software is different, the maps that must be tuned are the same no matter what reflashing software you are using - it's just another day in the office.

Will you guys tune my car StreetTuner?

Unfortunatley, custom mapping is available with ProTuner only (same price as StreetTuner from Cobb). We will not tune StreetTuner maps, although we can tune with the ProTuner on a StreetTuner AccessPort (different maps). [i doubt that makes sense - contact me if you're http://images.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif ]

Do I have to make an appointment?

Of course! Appointments are available Tuesday-Saturday 10AM-7PM. We require a non-refundable $100 deposit for your dyno time (we get a lot of no-shows). To make an appointment, please call us at (310) 618-0284 or email us at info@harmanmotive.com

What kind of guarantee to you offer with this service?

We guarantee that your car will perform better and run smoother after the tuning. We do not guarantee any specific power gains as this varies by vehicle. However, we always dyno your car before we commence tuning - thus if we notice any discrepencies with your vehicle OR if your mapping is already well dialed in, we will remove your car from the dyno. You will be charged for the dyno time only at $100/hr. As with all of our tuning products, we stand behind our tuning and are always accessible for any questions or concerns you may have. We encourage you to review the forums to see what our customers have to say before choosing us - there are a lot of tuners out there and we appreciate your business.

If you would like to make an appointment or have any questions, please contact us for more information.

You can also PM me with any questions, for now i am officially working for Harman Motive (HM) in a multi facited position.

Harman Motive, Inc.

340 Van Ness Ave Unit E

Torrance, CA 90501

(310) 618-0284

info@harmanmotive.com

or

ian@harmanmotive.com

Ian,

I e-mailed Dan, and haven't heard back, so maybe you can help. I want to know:

(1) Is it possible to tune out wastegate flutter, or is that just an unavoidable consequence of putting a DP on our engines, and

(2) Is there any value in getting Pro Tuned on a Stage 1 map.

(3) What kind of results have you guys gotten from LGTs?

Let us know.

SC GT

I'm not Dan, but I'd say that:

(1) wastegate flutter is a physical occurance that cannot be turned around without deteriorating performance

(2) Yes, but it will be pretty marginal. I base this on the fact that while my HarmanMotive tuned Stage 1 car makes a little more hp and tq than a CAP Stage 1, it's a pretty small difference. The mapping values on a ProTuner tune would be similar, so the power output would be similar. You'd realize a far greater gain from custom tuning with more mods, or mods that are not accounted for in the stock AP maps.

Overall, this represents a great opportunity for guys who bought AP thinking that they would follow Cobb's staged upgrades, but decided to go further, or a different route. Before they were forced to buy another EM solution. Now they can keep AP, and the cool map switching feature, while gaining access to custom tuned maps from a local tuner.

Ian,

I e-mailed Dan, and haven't heard back, so maybe you can help. I want to know:

(1) Is it possible to tune out wastegate flutter, or is that just an unavoidable consequence of putting a DP on our engines, and

(2) Is there any value in getting Pro Tuned on a Stage 1 map.

(3) What kind of results have you guys gotten from LGTs?

Let us know.

SC GT

Sorry I didn't get back to you. BoostJunkie is completely right, the wastegate issue is mechanical and needs to be addressed as such. We have a fix worked out on WRXs with similar problems - I'll have to take a look at the shop GT and see if it will work.

The value of ProTune on milder setup cars is to increase reliability by improving the air/fuel and timing curves (particularly on cars with detonation issues). We can also ad a high-octane map which will increase power significantly.

Regards,

Dan

Got an appt. for this Saturday at Harmanmotive in L.A.

Stay tuned for (hopefully) good results and comparison dyno plots between my baseline Cobb AP Stage 2 - 91 oct. v1.02. Since I do have the Perrin TMIC, I'm hoping there's a little more omph to be found at higher rpms. However, I still have fully stock injectors and fuel pump so that may be its Achilles heel.

Finally - This is what I've been hoping for all along. I was planning to go with the AP but wanted it customized to my car with the ability to change to additional maps for varying situations. Glad you all are doing this. Will be another six months or so before I'm ready but you are the only guys that are going to get to do this for me so I'll be calling for an appointment.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Sorry I didn't get back to you. BoostJunkie is completely right, the wastegate issue is mechanical and needs to be addressed as such. We have a fix worked out on WRXs with similar problems - I'll have to take a look at the shop GT and see if it will work.

The value of ProTune on milder setup cars is to increase reliability by improving the air/fuel and timing curves (particularly on cars with detonation issues). We can also ad a high-octane map which will increase power significantly.

Regards,

Dan

Dan,

In your experience, is the type of downpipe a factor in how much wastegate flutter one gets? For example, is there a difference between WG flutter with DPs with flat plates vs. bellmouths vs. divorced wastegates?

And is there a difference in WG flutter in DP's with a highflow cat in the location of the stock 2nd cat vs. DP's with the HFC in the location of the stock 3rd cat vs. catless DPs?

And finally, in your experience, which brand of DP is best at hiding the sound of WG flutter?

Thanks,

SC GT

Wastegate flutter is caused by the attachment of the wastegate door (looks like the big end of a valve) to the wategate arm. It's designed to have some play and rotation. The IHI turbos seem to have more than others, thus the noise.

I've found the PDE downpipes (bellmouth, no divorce) do quite well. The flange is perfectly flat (a result of PDE's welding process) which gives it the best seal against the turbo reducing noise.

The PDE legacy downpipe will be released shortly. It has a 3.5" bellmouth designed specifically for the VF40 and it's unique wategate layout vs. other IHI turbos. We'll have this available by mid-month.

Having a cat in the downpipe near the turbo will help because it provides even backpressure to the turbo (helps with boost creep to).

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Dan

PM'd you.

It's funny how everyone's coming out with their catted DPs all at once: Cobb, PDE, the Stromung shorty, Rally Performance (allegedly). The competition is going to be fierce.

So you're recommending keeping a cat in the DP? is it a high-flow cat? I'm just trying to make sure I get all my facts straight b/c its an upgrade I'm looking to make-- I'm still researching and learning at this point.

Plus I'll have to search around for someone in the greater Cincinnati/Lexington/Louisville to put one on (darn it)

Archived