LegacyGT.com

leaking rear diff.

well you could replace the pinion seal in the difee. but it's too bad you don't have a parts car around you can swap in another differential altogether. that would ba a pretty easy solution.

are both your cars auto trans 2.5L engines??? if so they are a perfect match.

i don't know. i've never even pulled one.

another thought, buy a locking VLSD, viscous limited slip differential, from a 03 outback or GT and install it. you will need to confirm the final drive ratio but i'm pretty sure the locking diffs from the auto outbacks in 03 are 4.44 like yours.

i think you can get one for about $150.00.

check http://www.car-part.com.

• I Donated
I have a good rear diff from a 2.2 auto. You will want to check to make sure the gear ratios are the same, but I'll sell it to you if you need it

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

might want to double check on the ratio, IIRC it may be a 4.11 in the later years. also, the VLSD is better than an open diff, but it is not a "locking" diff. It uses a Viscous Coupling to limit slip, and the VC has been known to leak out it's special silicone fluid and become useless, so beware junkyard pieces. common knowledge says you can't service the VC and without having one in front of me i cannot refute this claim.

that said, if you can find a good VLSD unit for the right price, as i said, it IS an improvement over the open diff you have.

• I Donated
that said, if you can find a good VLSD unit for the right price, as i said, it IS an improvement over the open diff you have.

this would be part of the reason why I have a spare stock diff sitting around lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

might want to double check on the ratio, IIRC it may be a 4.11 in the later years. also, the VLSD is better than an open diff, but it is not a "locking" diff. It uses a Viscous Coupling to limit slip, and the VC has been known to leak out it's special silicone fluid and become useless, so beware junkyard pieces. common knowledge says you can't service the VC and without having one in front of me i cannot refute this claim.

My 95 (5mt) has. 4.11

Later years are 4.44.

i think your diff is a 3.9, it should be.

the final drive ratios in the late 90s, 95 - 99, are engine specific. ej22s are different than ej25s.

engine.......................trans..........................ratio

ej22..........................manual.......................3.90

ej22..........................auto...........................4.11

ej25..........................manual.......................4.11

ej25..........................auto...........................4.44

same info a different look

the only exception to this info is the 96 outback manual. it has the ''outback'' final drive ratio but it has the ej22 engine.

i think your diff is a 3.9, it should be.

the final drive ratios in the late 90s, 95 - 99, are engine specific. ej22s are

the only exception to this info is the 96 outback manual. it has the ''outback'' final drive ratio but it has the ej22 engine.

Wow. Good to know. Strange.

TIP: the rear of the diff has 2 studs with nuts going through the cross member. typically you would spray penetrating oil on the nuts to remove. but if you spray where the studs enter the case instead, and leave the nuts alone. you may be able to remove the whole stud. this makes it a little easier to drop the diff. you don't have to move it forward to drop it.

HTH

tire size followed the diff ratio in these cars as well. the ej25 outbacks got larger tires than the ej22 legos, EXCEPT in the GT and LSi. the GT got the ej25 ratios but got the legacy tire size (slightly bigger). the larger tires on the lower gearing / larger engine in the outbacks helped keep the fuel economy up. (the increase in tires size basically offsets the decrease in the ratio gearing.)

keeping the smaller-ish tires on the GT made it ''quicker''.

the final drive ratios in the late 90s, 95 - 99, are engine specific. ej22s are different than ej25s.

engine...............trans..................ratio...............tire diameter.........GT

ej22..................manual...............3.90................24.2 inches

ej22..................auto...................4.11................24.2 inches

ej25..................manual...............4.11................26.3 inches..........24.9

ej25..................auto...................4.44................26.3 inches..........24.9

same info a different look

engine...............trans..................ratio

ej22..................manual...............3.90................24.2 inches

ej25..................manual...............4.11................26.3 inches..........24.9

ej22..................auto...................4.11................24.2 inches

ej25..................auto...................4.44................26.3 inches..........24.9

so i gotto unbolt the hubs dont i. to get the axles of the diff right. i wonder if i should just replace the seal in the diff. hell i dont even know where i can buy the seals for the rear diff.

reseal my diff....or...

or reseal and rebuild my diff from my other car and sawp in..this probably has less down time.

so i gotto unbolt the hubs dont i. to get the axles of the diff right. i wonder if i should just replace the seal in the diff. hell i dont even know where i can buy the seals for the rear diff.

reseal my diff....or...

or reseal and rebuild my diff from my other car and sawp in..this probably has less down time.

Yes, the hubs have to come off to remove the axles,

Rear diff seal is the most likely culprit. Get the seal at the dealership.

Edit: wash it all off with engine cleaner, and hose it down. Then watch daily to see where toe fluid escapes. We will find the culprit part in this manner.

i tried this and quit. it pinion nut is hard to get off, at least mine was.

you drop the shaft and then measure how force it takes to turn the pinion flange using an inch lbs torque wrench. this is so you can re-torque it to the same amount .

remove the pinion nut, this has the same torque as the front crank pulley 125- 137 ft lbs. remove the seal. replace the seal. NOW, you torque the pinion nut to a specified amount so it takes the same force to ''turn'' the pinion flange. over-torque, too tight and you destroy the bearing, under-torque, too lose and the bearing is sloppy and will wear and the seal will leak. put it back together and off you go.

i gave up and paid to have it done, ~$150 iirc. if the pinion nut is tight, you don't have enough room to swing a breaker bar under the car to remove it. an impact gun may , probably would, do it.

Archived