LegacyGT.com

Seeking help for Torque Converter Noise

Hi, I have a 96 LGT, the engine was toasted, and we put in a 95 EJ22, while we have the motor out, we have a chance rotating the torque converter. There is some kind of noise when turning it. Both my mechanic and me are not very familiar with automatic transmission. So is it a bad bearing or what?

Someone here ever experience sth like that? Any help is appreciated.

I took a video of it and it's shown below.

Thanks for the help.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROB9PokOyz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROB9PokOyz8[/ame]

almost sounds like the TC housing is rubbing on something on the transmission, possibly the diff housing? I am not terribly familiar with how they go together, but it may be possible that the TC can go in far enough to rub since it would normally be held in place by the flexplate. otherwise i might suspect the pump or possibly the stator or vanes inside the TC.

Edit: you might try taking the TC off and seeing if you can turn the internal components and see if there is still bad noises.

• I Donated
you might try taking the TC off and seeing if you can turn the internal components and see if there is still bad noises.

try that to help narrow it down some.

Personally, I haven't done much work with automatic transmissions. Any kind of transmission work I've ever done has been with manuals.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

With the TC removed, I can't manually rotate either of the concentric splined shafts in sticking out of the AT.

I'm Vic's mechanic. I literally haven't ever had to work with a Subaru AT before because 90% of my work is prepping them for races, so it's all MTs.

are you sure the noise is even coming form the torque converter?

if it is, its defiantly not normal to hear that. get a new one.

Not sure at all. It's definitely caused by turning the TC, but who knows it it's in the TC (are there any moving parts inside the TC?) or by something the TC is turning inside the tranny. The TC can be spun really easily, which surprised me considering the tranny was in Park.

It's amazing how much I don't know about ATs :lol: I've literally never had to work on one before this.

OK, I have just gone to school hardcore on the internals of a torque converter. First of all, the inside of a TC is bloody fraking cool and I really want to cut one open now! There's definitely a lot of things in there that *could* have a bad bearing and be making that sound. The oil pump in the tranny could be doing it as well, sadly, so an absolute diagnosis is impossible from this sound alone, I think.

If I had a way to spin the internals of the TC without it being attached to the tranny, or had a way to spin the tranny oil pump without the TC present, I could figure out which one it was. However, I can't do either of those things. :(

the TC can be tricky to seat properly. if not seated properly it will destroy the trans oil pump when you bolt the engine to it.

i can't hear the noise , my laptop is broken and my old computer has no speakers.

but rubbing the housing is a good thought. and not properly seated may cause a problem. but i've never heard it causing a noise.

there should be a thread about seating the TC. try searching ''torqueconverter''.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-2-2-headgaskets-now-hard-turning-over-wont-really-157685.html?t=157685&highlight=%27%27torqueconverter%27%27

i am familiar with this noise. mine does it also. if you have the transmission sitting on the crossmember it will make that noise because some part of the torque converter is rubbing, yet you can still turn it. Lift the trans up with a jack and see if it goes away..it should

i am familiar with this noise. mine does it also. if you have the transmission sitting on the crossmember it will make that noise because some part of the torque converter is rubbing, yet you can still turn it. Lift the trans up with a jack and see if it goes away..it should

Noise was recorded with the transmission jacked up off the crossmember, so that's already been eliminated.

Archived