LegacyGT.com

Reverse Cable Problems with short shifter

dr_sharp

Anybody else have noises from the shifter after doing a ssk?

Today the reverse "mechanism" that you lift to open the reverse gate got jammed and I can't engage reverse anymore. I don't think the 5MTs have this so I'm hoping some 6MT owners can chime in.

For the past few months the lifting mechanism has been getting stuck in the "up" position after I put the car in reverse. I usually can push it back down to the normal position but tonight it got stuck in limbo between up and down.

This is a really weird and difficult problem to describe. I'm going to take things apart tomorrow to try to figure out the problem, I'm all but certain it is related to the cable being caught on something.

Anyone else?

lol

If you over twist your shift knob when you're putting it on, the cylinder twists, along with the reverse lock out cable inside. When it twists, it gets stuffed and hard for it to lower by itself when you lift it up to go into reverse.

Try taking the shifter out and let it unravel. Then when you put it back, hold on to the cylinder when you twist the knob. That way it won't twist and get tangled again.

Oh yah, if you don't want to bother with the hassle of taking out that reverse cable pin thing, you could leave it in, loosen the top half of the STS (the 2 allen screws that control height of the shifter, and just try to twist the cylinder counter clockwise until the cable gets loose again.

This probably only works if you have a MODE/Cobb short shifter. Not sure what the problem is then if it's not a double adjustable type.

I took things apart early this morning and that pin was just jammed on something preventing movement. I still "sticks" in the up position after going into reverse though, so I'll have to take a closer look this weekend. Thanks for the recommendations - its just the kartboy but I'll see what I can figure out
lol

Archived