LegacyGT.com

New to Subaru and I already have a problem

So Im new to the Subaru seen. I just bought my wife a 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon. It has 60k on it. I went up and test drove it twice and finally bought it today. I drove it about 50 miles to my home. I went out to leave a few minutes later and the check engine light came on and the cruise started flashing. Does any one have any suggestion what it might be. I tried tightening the gas cap and it hasn't shut off yet. Help Please

Do a code read asap, and see what it is.

I do have a suspicion about a P0420 which means a dead cat since it takes a while to reappear when it has been cleared. It may mean that the seller just cleared the code, sold the car and then you got that code back.

But it's hard to tell until you got a code read so do that and report back about what it is.

453747.png

Same problem here, just bought an 07 llbean outback h6. Lights came on same way, got code p0174 lean on bank 2. GMC dealer we bought it used from thinks its the 02 sensor. Doesn't run rough, I had cleaned the MAF and it still comes back. Will share what I find. Seems like if it is lean on only one side then the MAF that is involved in both banks would cause both to read lean not just one. So Im guessing either a vacuum or intake leak on bank 2 or the 02 sensor. Seems like a leak would cause it to run rough though, am I wrong?

You haven't given us enough information for us to tell you what's up.

As others have said, find out what the code is, then we can help you.

It could be anything from a loose gas cap, to something relatively inexpensive (such as a fuel injector -- the most recent repair done on my car), to something big. We have no way of telling you yet what it is.

Best wishes.

So I got the code it's p0011. They it's either

1. Timing over advance or performance bank (1)

2. Low or dirty oil

3. Blocked oil passage

4. Timing belt misalignment

5. Failed AVCS solenoid

We talk to the dealership yesterday. We are suppose to take it in Monday to have it checked. But the check engine light shut off yesterday. Should I still take it in.

oh that code .. hehe i had that :p

yea can get it checked .. better safe than sorry ..

when i bought mine originally i would get strange codes .. or cel and no code !!!!

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

So I got the code it's p0011. They it's either

1. Timing over advance or performance bank (1)

2. Low or dirty oil

3. Blocked oil passage

4. Timing belt misalignment

5. Failed AVCS solenoid

We talk to the dealership yesterday. We are suppose to take it in Monday to have it checked. But the check engine light shut off yesterday. Should I still take it in.

Dealing with this code myself right now. You NEED to take it back even if the light is off, or wait for it to return and then take it back maybe. I replaced the passenger side (0011 side, 0021 is drivers side) oil control valve(#5 on your list). So far it has stayed off, but it has only been 100 miles or so since I swapped out the part. Fingers crossed that this was my issue. FWIW, I pulled the code at autozone, cleared it and it came back so took it to the Suby dealer and had them put it on the Subaru Select monitor and that part is what they said was faulty.

If you get it - check the banjo bolt to the turbo too. It may mean that there is some sludge involved that is limiting the oil flow.

It's harmless (aside from not giving you the best fuel economy and performance) for the timing advance for the cams but it may blow your turbo.

453747.png

I think in the warrenty forum there is a thread about this code. You may want to check it out, warning, this may not be good...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So I took the car in yesterday and he said everything looked great. He said the oil was a little low and was I need of a changing. He is almost positive that it was the reason for the check engine light. Thanks for all the help everyone

Here's the way I have learned to check the oil on these things.

open the hood, pull the dip stick up about 2", walk away from the car for about 15 minutes (close the hood), up to 8+ hours. I do this at work.

After work I wipe the stick then check the level, top off as needed. Do this a few times a week until you learn how much oil your car drinks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived