LegacyGT.com

P0011 only?

My wife's 05LGT has thrown one of the two death codes. Its the P0011. Cleared it, managed to get it to stay off for a day and it came back this morning.

My question is, I keep seeing P0011 and P0022 together in the posts about blown turbos. So far I only have the P0011 and I want to stay on top of this.

I will be changing the oil and inspecting the banjo bolt tomorrow, but am wondering if one code is as bad as getting both. Has anyone had a blown turbo while only getting the P0011? Seems reasonable since that's the passenger side bank from what I have found here.

Oil has been changed every 3500 miles, twice by the dealer (for free) and once by myself (about 1000 miles ago). I put in Mobil1 as its what I run in my 02 WRX and 911 religiously. Car has 68k miles on it.

Why does this keep happening?

You have a code. Clearing it is not the same thing as fixing it.

P0011 is for "bank 1 timing over-advance".

P0022 is for "bank 2 timing over-retard".

People have problems because they clear the code, expecting that it will be fixed by magic.

You need to diagnose, or pay someone to diagnose, why the code is coming up. It stayed off because it takes a few drive cycles to qualify for CEL again.

The causes can be varied. Anything from oil supply, a bad sensor, or an ECU problem (forcing overadvance). It could be a bad AVCS solenoid, or any number of things.

To properly diagnose the problem, you need a Subaru Select Monitor. Anything else is just guessing. You need to be able to watch what the cams are doing when the code is set.

I HIGHLY suggest having the car looked at by a professional. Keep ignoring it, and it will result in a problem.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thanks. Yes, I do not plan to keep clearing or ignoring or expect that it will go away on its own. Will take it in to have it checked, thanks. Just wasn't sure if I was already well on my way down the blown turbo road or if it could be something else.

Reading things around here is very scary with all the talk of blown up stuff.

Had the car put on the Select Monitor this afternoon at the dealer. They seem to think its a bad OCV. Found one in stock at another somewhat local dealer so will be grabbing that and installing tomorrow, along with fresh oil/filter and checking the banjo bolt filters and looking for shaft play. Hope its just a bad OCV!

Pulled the ACV and put in the new one, and checked the banjo bolt. BTW, the passenger side ACV sucks to get in/out with that damn bracket! There was indeed some sludge on the filter. Not sure that it was blocked completely. Then I changed the oil and found only about a quart in the car. I just did an oil change less than 2k miles ago. What is my next step? Really worried now that I know its using that much oil. Can this be related to the ACV or clogged filter? Going to be keeping a very close eye on it every day to see how it uses the fresh stuff I just put in.

FWIW, i am running Mobil1. Had great luck in my WRX with it (178k on it with no issues so far).

The ACV may cause it, but don't bet on it.

If you have a high oil consumption you should check if there is oil in the intercooler. If that's the case you need to change the turbo - especially if there is a lot of oil there.

But also check the turbo for axle play and that it rotates freely with no grinding. If the turbo starts to go bad it will leak oil.

But of course - there can be other causes for oil consumption too, so you should check compression too. Bad compression on one cylinder is bad news. Not fatal, but combined with oil consumption I would suspect piston ring failure.

Also check the spark plugs. If one is soot/oil contaminated then it's a problem with that cylinder. If all are then it's a common problem like the turbo. Valve stem seals are another thing that may cause oil consumption but it shouldn't be excessive on our engines.

The spark plug well seals are another case for oil leak, but that is a very obvious piece since that oil ends up on the outside of the engine.

And high oil consumption is bad news for the cat too.

453747.png

Archived