LegacyGT.com

She Wants the LGT Ltd Wagon!! Now Where to Purchase??

this is a continuation of the saga of my wife looking for a car to replace her saab 9-5 that has 101k miles on it. we drove the outback xt and lgt ltd wagons last week. today we went to the acura, toyota and saab dealers and then returned to the subi dealer...here are the results:

acura tl--she loved the interior and the way it looked, but suprisingly didn't like the way it drove. she thought it felt 'heavy'..anyway, that one was out.

toyota dealer--we walked around and didn't see anything that she liked. the highlander was the closest but it was still boring and not what she wanted.

saab--drove a new 9-5, she thought the interior was dated but still likes the car. the main issue--sticker shock. a 9-5 wagon without nav stickers at $43k. even with a big discount, which is not there at the moment, this car is way too expensive. it also looks dated although my wife still likes it.

subi dealer--we first drove the tribeca. while it was not her cup of tea (she didn't like sitting up that high) i think they've done a heck of a job with it and think it will sell well at the price point where it is ($37k loaded). it looks great in person both inside and out.

then we drove the lgt ltd wagon again and she was sold. we sat down with the salesman (walnut creek, ca.) and they offered the car (we want atlantic blue/taupe) for $28k vs. msrp of around $32k. that works out to approximately invoice minus the rebate. i offered $26.5k (ok i know it was a lowball but if i wanted regal/black i have been offered one at the price) and suggested we could meet in the middle but they let us walk. there were no games at all on their part, pretty straightforward (so far).

anyway, that's where we stand. now i'm going to do an email search across the dealers to see if anyone in or near the sf bay area wants to do something better than $28k. i hope i can find something but at least know what my worst case is. anyone knowing of aggressive dealers in california let me know.

What other dealers have you looked at? While you may not get the most rock-bottom prices, give Carlsen or Santa Cruz Subaru a ring. They both do not use old-school car sales tactics.

I noticed that you're in the SF Bay Area too. I think the previous comment about the interior colors was regarding how hot the leather gets in the sun. I have a silver GT wagon with black interior and the interior was never scorching even after sitting outside all day in the heat of last year's heat wave. I believe the exterior color has more of an effect on interior temperature than the interior color itself.

You know, there's a guy at work who's wife also drives an older 9-5 that he's considering replacing with a LGT.

Ken

i've gotten a few quotes so far and it's almost like they are price fixing at invoice or thereabouts...what's the fun in that! i'm spoiled by the really cheap offer i got on a different color (regal/charcoal) but he won't trade colors.

as for the interior, my wife really wants the lighter interior so that's going to be it.....there are several atlantic/taupe wagons in the bay area so hopefully i can negotiate a little better than i've seen. otherwise i may widen the search area.

You may also want to widen the search area to include some of the Subaru dealers up through the Sacramento corridor too. Subarus are very popular up in the Tahoe area so you might find some more that way.

Ken

which subaru dealership did you go?

i live near walnut creek so went to diablo, have emailed the bay area dealers. so far a couple have been around invoice, one was invoice + $1000 and one says he can't get a car (that's pretty funny)....i'm totally indifferent in where i buy the car. if a bunch of guys come back around invoice ($28k) then i guess i'll do a round to see if they will compete and do better.

Archived