LegacyGT.com

bad thermostat = bad gas mileage?

08 2.5i here.

i know a lot of you guys don't rely on the MPG gauge but general consensus is its about ~1mpg more than actual. anyway for me i think the gauge is pretty consistent even if its not accurate.

when i first got my car new i would average 28.5 consistently in the warmer weather and 26.7 when the winter gas hits. i use Trip A for gas mileage (~300mi), and Trip B for oil change (~5000mi), and MPG readings for both Trip's were the same all the time.

this past summer i did a bunch of regular maintenance (plugs, coolant, air filter, etc).

now up until about early last winter my gas mileage took a dip. it was random from between 19-21mpg. my driving habits didn't change nor did my gas station. i just cleaned my PCV valve recently which btw was not clicking at all, but cleaned up well. gas mileage jumped up to a solid 24.3 within the last 600mi which is better but i think theres still a little bit MPG left on the table.

so my question is, can a bad thermostat cause bad gas mileage? i noticed too that the temp (i know the gauge sucks) gauge gets up to normal temp slower than it used to. i usually warm the car for ~1min then drive slowly til it gets up to temp. usually by the first corner of my development, i can feel a little heat from the vents and the gauge has already started moving, not anymore. now it takes a good 10mins for it to get to normal temps. before it was more like 5-6mins.

maybe its stuck slightly open? and is this even possible to have a bad thermostat on a car with 72k miles? i figure most people change their thermostat when they change their timing belt etc @ 105k and most of the time its fine.

• 2 weeks later...
i'll change it once it gets a little warmer. i'll probably drain and fill some new coolant once that time comes too. weird but a couple nights ago, i beat the crap out of my car for like 5 mins LOL. after that gas mileage started climbing again and the temps now warm up as usual. must have cleared out some cobwebs or something LOL.

Archived