LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 - Anything to add on the exhaust side?

bluereserve

Hey everyone,

Just getting into taking my legacy to the next level, so stage 2 is in order.

So far I am getting a sti uppipe and a 3 inch catted downpipe.

Now my question is - is it worth it to add anything else to this setup? I know with the WRX's that I am used to the downpipe and uppipe combo did not leave much on the table for a stage 2 tune (meaning putting a catback on as well didnt matter much)

This the same for the legacy's?

Any sound increase with just a downpipe to be expected?

Thanks, getting excited over here

When I had my WRX i did a catless uppipe as I was told it would be a gain/improvement. The 08-09 LGT I know has a catless uppipe so there was a reason Subaru eliminated the cat in the uppipe im sure.

I think a true stage 2 for you would be uppipe, DP, cat back exhaust and a tune (I would also do one step colder NGK iridium plugs). You can get an intake however they dont have much gain from what I understand (alot of guys say they arent needed).

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

If you got the money for a cat back, I'd spend it on a decent intercooler upgrade. You could JB weld your stock one, but there's enough gain and reliability from a TMIC like the perrrin or AVO to make it worth it if you are doing a custom stage 2 tune. Racer-x FMIC is comparable in price, but is a more difficult install.

I'd consult with who ever you will have doing the tune prior to going to colder plugs. Fresh stock plugs might not be a bad idea if your anywhere near the service interval.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Get a catback and go to stage II. I recently put on the Magnaflow CBE and I LOVE it! I have a Turbo XS flex up pipe and I'm currently looking for a catted DP to complete mine. You have an Accessport right? After the exhaust is complete reflash it with the stage II mapping, which you can download from Cobb Tuning if you do have the AP. Or you can get a Protune which is a cheaper route from a Protuner in your area. The stock intake is good up to a stage II. I have one and it just makes the turbo more audible and adds more of a "sucking" sound. Depending on which way you go, either a short ram or a cold air intake you should get a tune with your exhaust. A CAI like AEM makes, it is good to get a tune because it make it run richer or leaner. I have heard that putting a panel filter and using the stock snorkle works just as well and you don't run the risk of water ingestion. Plus the air is cooler coming through the snorkle. Im my opinion it is personal preferance. I would complete you're exhaust and either get a Cobb Accessport or a protune after you are done. I have the STP intake and from what I hear is garbage so do not buy it. I bought it with not knowing that much about intakes (tuning in general) and since I have a warranty I didnt want the dealership to deny me coverage...but you can always take it off.

Entirely up to you. You could drop 300 on a used GMS/CXLighting/XO2 ebay catback or $400+ on a quality used (search the classifieds) OR there are numerous choices depending on your wallet and your sound preference. There's a great sticky in the exhaust section...Honestly, the possibilities are endless when it comes to exhaust. I just had 2 Magnaflow Street Mufflers #14827 with 4" tips welded in with custom hangers. The entire setup cost less than $275 and that's installation. Kept the stock mid/Y and 2.25" to the mufflers. No drone at highway speed yet have the boxer rumble during acceleration. Keep in mind, I wouldn't go with baffled/chambered mufflers. Straight through design like Magnaflow ftw...

As for the intake, unless you are going with a bigger turbo/IC, etc, stay with the stock intake. At most, maybe add a panel filter.

Tuning...just like mufflers/exhaust-a lot of options. Depends on what your goals are. I went with a used V1 Cobb Accessport. I got it shipped for $175. V2's of the AP are in excess of $400. V2's are fancier but both load the same Cobb maps with some minor exceptions. Basically, load the map and done. I wasn't interested in constantly logging yet I realize I left some on the table doing so, but I need my car! Cobb maps are conservative, but if you plan on keeping stock intercooler/turbo, then it's a wise choice. If you go with a tuner, and I assume pushing more than 17-18 psi, you'd best look into a new intercooler to handle that much boost. Cobb maps at stage 2 are approx 16-16.5 psi. Your stock IC will handle that.

Kept the stock mid/Y and 2.25" to the mufflers.

It has been proven the "Y section" is the major restriction in the stock set up. If you change thing to gain power, start there.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I got a Magnaflow CBE that was used for a year for $340. I cleaned it up and it was almost like new. Just keep an eye out for deals, ALL THE TIME, because they go quick. It's like people sit on the site and wait for postings! VALTURES!

I too got the magnaflow CBE and a ERZ catless DP and it is pretty loud... but I deal with it... it's 3inch all the way to the mufflers... then they run down to 2.5" but no problems with that... with the AP and the exhaust, my car has gotten significantly faster... So much so that I wonder why the hell i waited 2 years to upgrade!

OH> what someone else posted, I didn't get an uppipe because my car came with no cat in there.

(I would also do one step colder NGK iridium plugs).

I wouldn't do that. Stock plugs are fine.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived