LegacyGT.com

what trans will fit 96 awd legacy with 2.2 auto

most of the info you want is in the first page of this thread,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trans-fit-96-awd-legacy-2-2-auto-158274.html

Thanks. I know you said a 2.2 AT from a Impreza will fit... but do you know of any exact differences between them? I'm also looking at car-part.com and I've found a few lower mileage transmission from a 98 Legacy and 98 Impreza for less than $500 but I'm just paranoid about them not fitting... haha.

. but do you know of any exact differences between them?

there are NO differences, exact or otherwise. subaru is a small car company compared to the really big ones, and they cannot afford to have a different trans for each car. (as a matter of fact the trans in the 2.5L cars is the same as well they just have a different front differential bolted to it, so it does not match your car.)

in 1998 ALL auto trans for 2.2L cars are the same, ALL.

let me say it one more time just in case you missed it. ALL !!!

as long as the trans you install has a trans code number starting with TZ102Z.... and comes from ANY 96 - 98 2.2L car (or 1.8L car) it will fit. they are ALL the same. (93 - 95 imprezas and 90 -94 legacys have a cable driven speedo so they will not work)

EXACTLY the same.

no differences.

any questions?? :)

Thank you very much for clarifying, sorry if I was annoying at all, lol.

don't worry, i wouldn't have answered if i didn't want to help.

please re-read the post i wrote above. i added some details about matching trans selection.

• 6 months later...

New to the forum and having my first big problem. I'm from norway, but will try my best making my english understandable. :-)

I've changed the automatic transmission in my 2004 Legacy 2,0.

Testdriving it the "AWD" lamp came on and I instantly got the feeling I've replaced it with a wrong transmission. Reeding this now, I know I did. :-/

The tranny I bought was said to be from a car same year and engine, but it obviously isn't.

...so now I need some help to sort this out...

The number on my old transmission is: TZ1B7LRABB-2S

The number on my new transmission is: TV1B7MTCABN4

Is the automatic part of the transmission the same, only different gear ratio in the front differential? ...so hat I can remove the new transmission, fit it with the front diff from my old transmission, refit it to my car and it wil be ok?

• I Donated
New to the forum and having my first big problem. I'm from norway, but will try my best making my english understandable. :-)

I've changed the automatic transmission in my 2004 Legacy 2,0.

Testdriving it the "AWD" lamp came on and I instantly got the feeling I've replaced it with a wrong transmission. Reeding this now, I know I did. :-/

The tranny I bought was said to be from a car same year and engine, but it obviously isn't.

...so now I need some help to sort this out...

The number on my old transmission is: TZ1B7LRABB-2S

The number on my new transmission is: TV1B7MTCABN4

Is the automatic part of the transmission the same, only different gear ratio in the front differential? ...so hat I can remove the new transmission, fit it with the front diff from my old transmission, refit it to my car and it wil be ok?

You have this posted in the wrong section.

Go post it here http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/third-generation-legacy-1999-2004-96.html

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 3 years later...
you can use a 95 - 98, maybe 99, auto trans from a legacy with a 2.2L engine or 96 - 98, maybe 99, from an impreza with either a 2.2L or 1.8L engine.

your trans has a 4.11 final drive ratio as do the ones listed above.

to double check, read the trans code number on the bell housing at the starter. all AWD auto trans from the 90s are the same basic trans, TZ102Zxxxx. you have a TZ102ZABAA. you can use any trans from the late 90s that starts with TZ102Z and has a letter in the ''red A'' position. if it has a '2' in that position it will be from a 2.5L car and have a different final drive ratio.

confused? just find an auto trans from a 2.2L car from the late 90s. check the code number and then ask.

because the code numbers changed most every year, when you search for a trans at www.car-part.com, you will have to search most years and models separately. once you find one, when you call the yard to buy it, ask for the year and model you have already found. do not mention your actual year and model or they will tell you it will not fit. they may not warranty the part.

Okay so if I'm reading your convo about transmissions any 90's tranny will fit to my Subaru Legacy l 2.2l awd as long as it is a manual in my case, Correct? If so ya'll have just saved my life haha need my car running do to baby on the way and that is our only vehicle😀 I have so far got old tranny removed and here is a bit of history with my car I just bought it for 800$ with no second gear was working just fine tell the syncros jammed due to second gear being shattered. Luckily it was jammed in nutrual 😆. AnywAys my old lady seems to think I had wasted my money on this car it has a 2.2l crate motor with less than 90,000 miles. New clutch an new ignition as well. This car is my first car as well being a dream car other then an evo lol. But if I can get a swift answer I'd be indebted to you for life haha maybe not that extrem but you catch the drift. I also live In port Angeles WA

any 90's tranny will fit to my Subaru Legacy l 2.2l awd as long as it is a manual in my case, Correct?
not necessarily.

in the early 90s, 90 - 94 the final drive ratios were different, in the auto trans.

and all the info i listed above is for the auto trans.

the same info is true for the manual trans.

BUT not for all of the 90s, just the years listed.

(at least i'm not sure of it for the early 90s.)

good luck with the baby.

you will have terrible torque bind

and it will likely wear out either the trans ,

the AWD transfer clutch,

or the drive shaft ujoints.

basically it will be un-drivable.

the final drive on the trans front diff MUST match the final drive on the rear diff.

Archived