LegacyGT.com

Check engine light

pull the sensor out that is directly above the timing sprocket and check it for dings and nicks. my timing sprocket slipped forward just enough to hit that sensor a few thousand times, giving it "incorrect" timing and a #3 misfire that wasnt actually there,

I will have him check on that. How ever I am having a misfire. Its no phantom. The car shakes and lose's power big time, while and just before the light comes on. Once the light stops blinking and runs solid, the car acts like nothing happend and is back up to speed and power. It happens when I am driving fast almost always, but shows up sometimes while I am driving slow.

Also both of my valve covers are leaking. But the spark plugs are clean and so are the boots. Should I check for oil some place else? it is external leaks as far as I can tell. I lose about half a quart per oil change.

It is throwing the misfire code for the second and third cyclender. At first it was just the third, but then over time it started throwing the second as well.

There is no other code. I don't have them writen down right now but those are the ones.

So got the compression checked and it is 180 across the board.

I'm leaning twords the tr unit, but mas air flow could be it, I had a volvo that ate those and it did a simular thing, how ever it was not intermiten.

I think the O2 sensor was checked I will ask the mech.

• 2 weeks later...

No I have not cleaned the maf, thats next I guess. Because the misfire came back. :( It was time to change the plugs again so I changed those out. Also did the fuel filter because it was time for that as well. The car runs smoother but it didn't get rid of the misfire. I will go about cleaning the MAF today if i can figure it out.

So looked around for a tutorial. they said wipe it off with papter towls and spray it down with electrical cleaner. several times I seen people say to clean the one "up inside"? Like take the 4 screws off where the wiring harness is and clean something in there? Or do they mean the thin wire part, because I have seen advice saying to do both, clean that off with a cue tip, and not to ever touch it ever.

Edit:

Ok I cleaned the maf. It was very clean though. I don't think it is the problem. noticed it looks like it may have been replaced not long before I got the car. It doesn't seem to be OEM could this be the issue?

second edit,

Well its still doing it. Seems like everything I do cause's it to happen less, but it doesn't get rid of it. 02 senser I guess.

Also where do I point the timing light to see if it is off? or do I just have to pull the timing belt covers?

Archived