LegacyGT.com

1997 head gasket help!

the repair will run you $1000 (cheap) to $2000 depending on the shop and what part of the country you live in.

depending on the miles and what else is needed, $450 is a good price.

but if the engine has been severely over heated there is a risk that it could develop rod knock with in 10k miles. it has happened to more than one outback owner.

the more sure solution is to buy it and swap in a 2.2L engine. they cheaper to buy and more reliable in my opinion. they ranger in cost from 300$ to 600$, less at a pull=a=part and a shop can do the swap in a day. you'll still spend around $1000 - $1200 but you dramatically reduce the risk of rod knock.

search ''engine swap'' or ej22 engine swap.

An egr valve is the only difference between auto and manual. Manuals have it and can be left unhooked on an auto. I always hear different years, but I think in 97 ej22e's changed to phase 2(legacy) different heads, and sensors.

Disclaimer: My knowledge, not for sure fact!

your first choice is a 95 auto trans car lego or impreza. it is an easy swap and you will be glad you did it.

2nd choice - 96 ej22 from an auto trans car.

3rd choice - 97 - 98 ej22 from an auto trans car.

the 95 is the easiest plug and play engine for a swap. you keep the flex plate that was on your 2.5 and put it on the 2.2 and you install it in your car. no muss no fuss.

the 96 - 98s will work but the exhaust ports on the heads changed and you will need the exhaust y-pipe from the engine donor car.

the ej22 MUST come from a 95 - 98 auto trans car so it will have the needed EGR valve. the 95 - 96 ej22 are non-interference engines, which i prefer. but as long as you change the timing belts as specified, the 97-98s work fine too and have slightly more power.

you use the flex plate that was on the ej25 engine and the AC bracket as well. that's it you are done.

this info is true and accurate for swapping 96 - 99 ej25s.

• I Donated
fyi: the 96 2.5L engine, it's first year in the US, requires premium gas.

will you be doing the swap yourself or will you hire it out?

Yeah thats right. However 97 98 and 99 take normal 87 octane. Itwas ONLE 96 that required premium

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived