LegacyGT.com

Is there a way to tell build date from vin?

shiggins

Guest turboman
I'm looking online at a dealer's inventory and they have the VIN of the car listed. Is there any way I can learn the build date from this to have an idea of how long it's been sittin' on their lot?

Open the driver's door and theres a vertical tag that shows the build date.

VIN has nothing of meaning to the customer, as far as I know. It identifies options, model, build location, etc.

Unless you know the build date of the VIN above or below yours, then you won't get an exact date off that. Like turboman said, you can get the month and year off the door. You'd have to contact the factory for the specific date.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The dealer (or I) can pull up the actual production date of you car by doing a "Vehicle Inquiry" through the SOA information website.

If you want me to pull it for you, PM me your full name, the last 8 digits of your VIN# and include your e-mail, I'll download & e-mail the .pdf doc to you.

Be advised, I will not send the information back to you without your full name (first & last) & VIN #. AND if the name you give me doesn't match up with the name listed as the owner of said vehicle I won't send you anything back.

Mine was built on June 2, 2004 (a Wednesday Car! :D) and I test drove it on June 10th and bought it on June 24th.

My wife's was built on August 31, 2004 (Tuesday Car) and we didn't buy it until Feb 12, 2005 (Valentine's Day present for my wife!)

I'm looking online at a dealer's inventory and they have the VIN of the car listed. Is there any way I can learn the build date from this to have an idea of how long it's been sittin' on their lot?

You can not tell the exact build date from just a VIN#, only the model year. Once a vehicle has been sold then information can be pulled up using the last 8 of the VIN# but that does not help you :rolleyes:

Just ask the dealer how long they have had it or ask to see the INVOICE and look for the invoice date. Or if you want to do some Sherlock Holmes, then look at the stock # of that car and then try to find a car that you know that has just came in and compare the stock #'s. Most dealers stock in their inventory in sequence and if it is a big enough gap then you know they have had it a while.

Our dealership is always motivated to blow out any older units that are left in stock although you should be able to buy an 05 for Invoice now anyways :D

David Cardwell.

Internet Auto Sales.

813-880-5966 Direct line

813-884-7513 office

813-885-7160 fax

800-683-2532 toll free

www.MastroSubaru.com

www.MastroWRX.com

Archived