LegacyGT.com

Need advice: Spark plug tube seals

Dealer A just did my 60,000 mile maintenance. The found that there was oil in the spark plug tubes when they went to replace them. They recommended doing a valve cover gasket because the spark plug tube seals were leaking.

I've never heard of this, was hoping to get some pro advice from you fine folks.

Secondly, dealer A found that the shift shaft seal is leaking too. Again they recommended replacing it.

Now, I still have an extended warranty through dealer B. I'm going in on Tuesday to see if they'll fix both of these things under warranty. I'm pretty sure they should.

That said, total cost of repairs for both is nearly $1200 :eek:

Lastly, here's another question: Dealer A went ahead and replaced the spark plugs per Subaru's 60,000 mile checklist. If oil is leaking onto them (presumably still), should I have dealer B replace the spark plugs if/when they do the warranty work on the valve cover gaskets?

TIA

Well, the dealer (with the warranty) found no oil in the tubes or any leakage from the shift shaft seal.

Of course.

They said drive it for a couple thousand miles and bring it back.

I wonder if the first dealer cleaned it all up? And if so, how long would it take for oil to make it back into the spots where they saw it?

My OEM tube seals AND shifter seal were both leaking. I replaced the VC gasket to fix that, and blasted around the shift seal with carb cleaner. After that, there was zero gear oil residue left, and it hasn't returned. You might be out of luck getting it replaced under warranty there if the first dealer cleaned it up. :(

Archived