LegacyGT.com

Traded my 2004 325i for a LGT Ltd. (AT)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it even more:), and I did not have stock wheels on, I put the Michelin X-ice on, so AWD + great winter tires = doesnt get better. I never had to shovel snow, warm car up and its out. U'll be able to test it your self in a few months :p

I love it even more:), and I did not have stock wheels on, I put the Michelin X-ice on, so AWD + great winter tires = doesnt get better. I never had to shovel snow, warm car up and its out. U'll be able to test it your self in a few months :p

How are the X-ice on the highway, were they pricey, and did you get steel rims?

Sorta can't wait for winter now....it's practically winter this weekend anyway.

My son is driving a yr. 2002 BMW 325iX wagon with MT. The first thing he noticed, when testing my new LegGT/Ltd wagon with MT, was how much shorter the shift throw was. I do have the Sti shifter. Of course he was surprised and when he started up the freeway ramp and the car never stopped pulling. He thought the interior of Leg was a bit lower quality, but he really liked the seats, steering wheel and driving postion. My son is 6ft, 1in tall and really liked the seats and BMW like, lack of blind spots.

I did not buy a BMW3 because I wanted a MT wagon and BMW does not offer the 330 engine in NorAM 3 series, AWD wagons. I don't miss my old BMW and love my LegGT. BMW is not serious about sports wagon market, and Subaru seems to be.

IMO, the new BMW3 is getting too big, Mustang, Thunderbird syndrome and is losing its edge. The front end construction has body panel seems disrupting the design everywhere. the new hood and grill goes back to Buick style. hood ege seam cuts across top of grill, seam cuts fender arch. Is this to save build cost?

BMW may not have Leg HP, but it feels so so good in MT. The added HP in new version will help and magic of BMW3 is that it if feels much better than its numbers.

If Suby offers a LegSti wagon in 07, it is hard to imagine going back to BMW. BMW is talking about a new turbo disel with 325 HP in 07 or 08. Again, BMW has held back good stuff from NorAM AWD wagon lovers.

It is amazing to me that Suby is so close so soon to be competing with BMW3.

My son is driving a yr. 2002 BMW 325iX wagon with MT. The first thing he noticed, when testing my new LegGT/Ltd wagon with MT, was how much shorter the shift throw was. I do have the Sti shifter. Of course he was surprised and when he started up the freeway ramp and the car never stopped pulling. He thought the interior of Leg was a bit lower quality, but he really liked the seats, steering wheel and driving postion. My son is 6ft, 1in tall and really liked the seats and BMW like, lack of blind spots..

I am 6'1" too and prefer the slightly more upright position of the Leg. I love the seats and the steering wheel.

IMO, the new BMW3 is getting too big, Mustang, Thunderbird syndrome and is losing its edge. The front end construction has body panel seems disrupting the design everywhere. the new hood and grill goes back to Buick style. hood ege seam cuts across top of grill, seam cuts fender arch. Is this to save build cost?.

I agree, the front is very Buick-ish. The whole thing kind of looks fat. Somehow the car is less sexy than the E46. The back end is Taurus-ish. The headlight cuts are Mazda-ish. Too bad.

BMW may not have Leg HP, but it feels so so good in MT. The added HP in new version will help and magic of BMW3 is that it if feels much better than its numbers.
The E46 shifter is too long and too mushy. I had to do a pile of stuff to get it shorter and faster. The new MT is pretty nice, and should not need any mods. I actually prefer the Leg LTD AT, and shifters.

If Suby offers a LegSti wagon in 07, it is hard to imagine going back to BMW. BMW is talking about a new turbo disel with 325 HP in 07 or 08. Again, BMW has held back good stuff from NorAM AWD wagon lovers.

Too bad they're not offering the 1 series, that would be well received I think.

while vacationing in italy, i saw tons of 1-series. And they look much better in person. If it comes to north america, it may be a quiant addition to the family. always have a soft spot for hatchback... a rwd hatch? mmmm.

i've to admit, the e46/490's interior are cold. there's no flair to it. in fact the e46' curve panels was better than the ultra flat interior of the e90. to say that the LGT's interior is inferior to the 3-series is wrong. from the MOMO leather steering wheel to the soft touch of the dash, the LGT's interior is far more cozy than the Vader-like 3-er. That's my 2 cents.

Obviously interiors are subjective, and as much I like the style of the BMW, I prefer the sporty feel of the LGT. I think the stock steering wheel in the BM is so clunky and old-fashioned looking. There are far worse, Nissan, Toyota and more, but for the $$ I'll take a Momo, thank you.

They sound like a good bunch with some interesting comments on AWD v's Stability Control.

Dave.

I'm pretty impressed with the comments, for sure. It's an intelligent group, like this one.

RobY has 2 or 3 posts over there, is he a member here? He seems to know a lot about Subie AWD systems!

How are the X-ice on the highway, were they pricey, and did you get steel rims?

Sorta can't wait for winter now....it's practically winter this weekend anyway.

LOL its been a really bad long weekend. since I have the 2.5i, out stocks are 16", so I put the X-ice on those, and Im getting 18" soon so those will be for summer. 16" X-ice cost me $823 installed from Costco, Im sure 17" will be abit more than that, but I think its worth it.

LOL its been a really bad long weekend. since I have the 2.5i, out stocks are 16", so I put the X-ice on those, and Im getting 18" soon so those will be for summer. 16" X-ice cost me $823 installed from Costco, Im sure 17" will be abit more than that, but I think its worth it.

Sounds like a plan then...and which 18" wheels are you getting?

I was just looking for info on the 2006 BMW 530iX Touring on Edmunds"Insider" forum and found an interesting ref to Subaru.

1. 530iX/T reviewer commented that Audi and even more significant, Subaru is becomming serious competition for the 530iX/T.

2. The new 530iX Touring has 255 HP, but weighs much more than the Subaru LegGT.

Subaru LegGT engineering is definitely being noticed and making a mark. Let's hope it is also making $$$ for Subaru so more good things are delivered.

Sounds like a plan then...and which 18" wheels are you getting?

thats what Im still looking for, I cant find some nice not very expensive wheels+tires package, I will be posting any new info on the forum.

Okay, so i picked up the car and drove it home.

1. Steering is heavier, it's an AWD.

2. The cabin is very quiet.

3. The stereo is fine

4.The controls are easy to use, particularly the climate control (better than the buttons on the bimmer)

5. The torque and push are great.

6. I took it up my windy hill and used the utton shifters, they work great (poor man's SMG ??)

7. Awesome (perforated leather) seats, better than e46 regular seats, and 8 way power adjustable

8. Love the momo steering wheel

9. no engine noise vs. hearty chortle of 325 (take your pick)

10. Sunroof is nice

11. Sun visors better crafted than cheapy bimmer

12. More legroom

13. More upright position than the 325, it's different

14. At idle the engine noise outside the car is quite different than the Bimmer, it's noisier and more brutish

15. My wife still misses the 325. But she admits it'll be a good commuter car for me.

I narrowly missed getting a ticket on the highway, fortunately there were other cars just ahead!

tell us when your wife drives it and takes it for her own.

She took it to the barn tonight, 50km round trip. After figuring out the shifter (ran it at 5000rpm for one block), she liked the seats, the trim, the steering wheel. No real comments about the power 'cause that's not her bag. She complained (I think jokingly) about no volume controls on the wheel, and I told her those were the shifters, I wanted it that way.

Just took it around the block now (11kms), and I will be able to live with the haolgens and the brights. They're not AS great as Xenons, but VERY good nonetheless, I shouldn't miss the Xenons.

What's amazing is how rock solid the car feels at speed, in fact at 50mph it feels like it's 30. Hence the warnings for speeding tickets.

It's a great time to be owning a new car, what can I say!

currently short of the M3, no 3-series is gonna touch an LGT in terms of straight-line performance. I wish the GT comes with better tires though. Stupid RE92s! :rolleyes:

The e90 330 has 255HP and a much more flexible engine...my guess, when equipped with a manual tranny, it will be faster than the LGT...especially when accelerating from 60 + mph. The e46 3-series was already capable of sub 0-60 and mid 14 sec 1/4 mile times and that was with only 225/235 HP.

While I'm on the subject of performance, I'm pretty much happy with the LGT...the ride is a little soft and numb but that's okay. Handling is good but the brakes...the brakes...the brakes - the feel is pretty bad. My wife commented to me how she doesn't feel that confident with them and that concerns me. Her 99 Accord V6 Coupe has much better feel and I thought they were bad. The feel is very mushy and you really have to put some muscle in to them if you need to stop quickly. I may bleed them and add some SS lines and see if that helps...hopefully it will.

With regards to everyone's comments on the interior...Yes the LGT has a very nice interior - it's one of the reasons I bought the car...but (IMO) it does not compare to the e46 or e90 3-series with regards to feel and quality of materials...I also find it much harder to get comfortable...the GT does not have a telescoping wheel, there's not as much space in the footwell (I'm 6'3" with size 13s) and the seats don't feel quite as comfortable to me (and M3 seats are far and away much, much better). Also, the GT is not very wide (~68");therefore, there's not as much room for each person in the front....it's more cramped.

With that being said, I still love my LGT...it's a great car for the price but isn't up to BMW standards (or any other car in BMW's price range) with regards to overall build quality...as it shouldn't be. It costs less.

I traded in my 2003 325i in February (had 11,000 miles on it). I haven't regretted the decision yet. I'll be keeping this car for years (I've never kept a car over two years).

Nice to hear that. I took the girls to playschool this morning, 70km round trip. I find it very easy to cruise in this car at 55-60mph. Sunroof is great, passing power exceptional. I feel immediately at home in the car. Love the seating positions I can get, although I have to figure out how to sit without bumping my head on the grab handle.

Getting used to cornering as well, AWD is different from RWD.

Ok, IMHO, you are out of your mind if you say that the 3 series interior was better than the Subbie in any way. I have zero loyalty to Subbie or BMW (first one of each I owned), but I have and currently own, Lexus, Acura, Honda, Toyota, and multiple GM cars so I know what a great interior looks like. The 3 series interior is a joke. Cheap plastic looking, sparse, the seating had little side bolster, JUST AS NARROW AS THE SUBBIE, the doors sound like tin when closed, the carpeting was the cheapest I've EVER seen, and the seating position sucked (I am also 6'3 so don't give me crap about how tall you are). There were great things about the BMW but the interior wasn't one of them. Lack of power, and the interior were the two reasons I got rid of it. I thought it was way overpriced for what I got (I own/have owned $60,000 cars so I'm not saying this as some kid whose never spent the money on a luxury car.

As a side note...I am soooo sick of German loyalty crap. I got sucked into believing all that of how great they are. BS. My best friend is a Mercedes freak (owns two) and I think they are complete garbage as well. Two things I learned from my experiences. 1. You are going to really overpay for a BMW or Mercedes. 2. They break....a lot. Don't take my word on it, look at JD Powers surveys and every long term quality survey. Japan, the US, and the rest of the world long ago caught and past these guys on quality and bang for buck was never there.

Yoiks! (jumping out of the crossfire)!! Strong opinions both! Interestingly you both have GT Ltd's and you both have upscale Luxury cars. (so do I, and the base X5 is quite nice, heated steering wheel, eh?)

In reflecting on my trade-in, I can't help but imagine how awesome an M3 must be to drive. As for the interior quality, I wouldn't know either, having come from a lowly 325.

Interiors are very subjective, but I really don't feel like the LGT Ltd is less than the BM. The BM has a certain style to it, and the Sub has a certain style to it. The plastic is perhaps a little more obvious. The drinkholders are far more useful, even though the elbow rest is further back. Somehow I don't miss it that much. BMW just figured out the cell phone charger hole under the elbow rest on the E90. I saw that on the legacy last year, so who is copying who?

I tried the E90 at the drive event for about 2 hours. Sat in every available combination of e90. It didn't come off as better than the E90. It seemed more impersonal and more business-ish to me. Less sporty.

Anway, like I said, it is very subjective. But the LGT vs. the 3 series interior debate is very close, not as far apart as kmurph says. I'm not sure how those size 13s fit in the M3, that must be tight as anything.

Now if you're comparing a 3 series to a base Impreza, that's a slam dunk for the 3. But LGT Ltd vs. 3 is very close.

Archived