LegacyGT.com

Looking for Legacy GT Limited Wagon

Bob M.

I'm interested in buying a used Legacy GT Limited wagon. I'm looking at model years 2005 thru 2007. Any recommendations or advice?

I'm confused by some of the terminology used by Subaru. I came across a 2005 Legacy wagon called a XT. It was turbocharged with leather seats and a moonroof. I've never heard of the XT while doing my research, only the GT.

Also, what is a Spec B? I've heard that only comes with the sedan but I'm not sure about that.

Also, I've been confused by what some salesman say is a Legacy/Outback. I thought it was one or the other? Can it be both? I thought the Outback was higher off the ground than the Legacy.

Also, I've never owned a Subaru before. How many miles is too many for a used Subaru legacy? I was hoping to find one with 40K~60K but most I've seen are higher mileage than that. At what mileage should I pass, where the car, engine, and transmission are most probably spent/used up? I'd like to have some years of low maintenance service, if possible. I know at a certain point and mileage, I will start having big repair bills but at what mileage is that most likely to occur? Any advice on this subject?

Thanks,

Bob M.

XT = Outback Wagon

very similar to the LGT Wagon

SpecB is the god-almighty model...

mileage thing is all depending on previous owner

you can have a 30k miles car that isnt properly maintained and about to blow up vs a 100k miles car that is properly maintained that will last you much longer

The biggest issue is the turbo tends to need replacement at around 100k. The timing belt, water pump, etc are a 105k service item, which results in a costly service.

The Outback XT is basically a raised Legacy GT, the difference could be hard to see without seeing them side by side.

Legacy/Outback have always been tied together. Outbacks sit higher. They are the same chassis.

In 05 and 06 you could buy a Legacy wagon, they only made the GT Wagon with a 5mt in 05. The Outbacks look different once you know the two cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've been trying to get up to speed with all the Subaru terminology and nomenclature as I'm shopping for my first Subaru. I found this on an Edmunds review:

Let's recap: The Limited, which was never really limited, remains so, and although last year's non-Limited version was limited, it isn't anymore.

Bob M.

Archived