LegacyGT.com

Japan and impact to Subaru?

StringFellow

Lafayette, Ind.

The disaster in Japan is having a direct effect on operations at the Subaru plant in Lafayette and the Toyota factory in Princeton.

Both Subaru of American and Toyota say the Indiana facilities have suspended overtime and Saturday production to assess the availability of car parts. The earthquake and tsunami have disrupted shipments from Japan to the U.S.

Subaru employs about 3,500 workers at its Lafayette facility. About 4,000 work at the Princeton Toyota plant.

Toyota has announced the company will be donating $3.75 million to support relief efforts. Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing North America (TEMA) says it is working with the American Red Cross out of Cincinnati to facilitate donations to the relief effort. TEMA plans to match all donations made by its team members.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-tsunami-disaster-in-japan-affecting-indiana-workers-20110315,0,4317127.story

off topic, http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/03/13/sendai_110033754_540x321.JPG

is it a Leggy in this picture?

gas door on p/s side

looks like 07-09 tailights

door trim looks like it and i think it even has the jdm rain guard

conclusion = very likely :(

Power, parts shortages hamper Japan manufacturers

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/0/0a6ca56c-b74f-43a8-9a5a-4fb572b4268d-small.jpg

AP Photo/Koji Sasahara

http://te.ap.org/tte/blank.gif?0.16008553421096266&snippet_version=1.3.a&referrer=http%3A//www.wbal.com/&page=http%3A//hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_JAPAN_EARTHQUAKE_MANUFACTURING%3FSITE%3DWBAL%26SECTION%3DBUSINESS%26TEMPLATE%3DDEFAULT&timezone=240&var_SECTION=BUSINESS

http://analytics.apnewsregistry.com/analytics/v2/image.svc/AP/RWS/hosted.ap.org/MAI/V9665-2011-03-22T0807Z/E/prod/AT/A TOKYO (AP) -- Three of Japan's biggest global brands - Toyota, Sony and Honda - said Tuesday they will further delay a return to normal production due to shortages of parts and power after the March 11 quake.

The 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami forced the closure of 11 of Japan's 54 nuclear power plants and damaged factories belonging to producers of auto parts, electronics components and industrial materials.

Toyota Motor Corp., the world's biggest car maker, and rival Honda Motor Co. said they have extended their shutdown of auto production in Japan to the weekend because of parts and power shortages. Toyota has lost production of about 140,000 vehicles since March 14.

Sony Corp. said operations at five plants in Shizuoka, Aichi, Gifu and Oita were suspended until the end of March. Those factories make broadcast equipment, camcorders, digital cameras, lenses for digital single-lens reflex cameras, cell phones, LCD TVs, microphones and headphones.

The effects are being felt across Asia, from Thailand to South Korea to Taiwan, as manufacturers who rely on imported Japanese semiconductors, auto parts, steel, LCD television panels and chemicals watch inventories dwindle.

Japanese manufacturers are expected to rebound once they restart production following the quake and tsunami that likely killed at least 18,000 people in the northeast. But analysts say they might be hampered by power shortages, damage to roads and overseas customers switching to new suppliers.

In South Korea and elsewhere, concern is growing that reliance on Japanese imports will prove a big headache for industry.

"Chances are growing that supply disruptions will not end within one to two months," analysts at Hyundai Securities said in a report. "If supply disruptions are prolonged, Korean companies that rely heavily on materials and components imported from Japan ... will likely see severe production setbacks."

Toyota's shutdown of 11 factories was extended until Saturday because of difficulty securing components, including rubber parts and electronics, the maker of the Prius hybrid and Lexus luxury models said.

The shutdown had previously been announced through Tuesday. Toyota resumed repair parts production last week and said that was still under way.

Automakers are scrambling to find alternative parts suppliers to replace those disabled by the quake. The disaster-stricken northeast is home mostly to tertiary parts-makers - the tiny machine shops that make parts for secondary and other suppliers.

Honda said its production halt would continue through Sunday. The extended shutdown affects vehicle production at its Saitama and Suzuka factories and motorcycles at its Kumamoto factory. It had previously announced the shutdown through Wednesday.

The announcement from Sony, a world leader in consumer electronics and entertainment, provided a mixed picture.

It said it was resuming operations at some plants, including a factory in Tochigi prefecture that manufactures high-power lithium ion batteries, A separate factory in Tochigi resumed partial operations on March 15, four days after the quake. A plant in Saitama, north of Tokyo, resumed full production on the same day.

Intermittent operations were to resume Tuesday at a plant in Chiba that manufactures Blu-ray disc recorders and home audio systems, depending on the availability of power.

Inspections and repairs were under way but operations were

I am pretty sure the WRX and the STi are manufactured in Japan, and shipped over. The rest are assembled in the US.

Legacy, Outback (but not the Outback Sport) & Tribeca (AKA the B chassis) for US & Canada are made in the US. AFAIK everything else is made in Japan.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

SIA scaled back to 4 hrs per shift this week. I am going on a factory tour tomorrow morning. Apparently they had a large Toyota delegation in on Tuesday. Maybe moving more Toy production to SIA.

Is that because of part shortages from Japan?

Your Legacy is built in Indiana.

Weren't ALL Legacy's built in the USA except for the first gen Legacy SS/TW? I remember my 95 being an Indiana car, but my 94 and 91 turbos were both Japan built.

My wifes 09 Impreza is Japan built, but my Outback is, of course, an Indiana car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

They are running low on inventory of rear differentials. The Toy line is running full shifts. Since the Subie line has been running with mandatory OT due to demand the employees are getting a break. Toy and Subie workers do not cross-train across company assy lines but they are moving in that direction. The four gigantic stamping presses were impressive. The have the stamping dies for all models going back to 1990. If you get a chance, take the factory tour. Well worth the 90 minutes.

They are running low on inventory of rear differentials. The Toy line is running full shifts. Since the Subie line has been running with mandatory OT due to demand the employees are getting a break. Toy and Subie workers do not cross-train across company assy lines but they are moving in that direction. The four gigantic stamping presses were impressive. The have the stamping dies for all models going back to 1990. If you get a chance, take the factory tour. Well worth the 90 minutes.

This is probably the reason I have waited 9 long weeks (and still waiting, only have a partial VIN# so far) for delivery of my new Legacy...thinking about telling the dealer to screw and look as available inventory in the area that is close to what I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoke with the manager at my dealership, he said that it should not cause issues with current production for about 3-4 months. The real issue thats going to cause problems is parts for repairs of certain components. He said that his particular dealership is trying to stock up on as many parts as they can so they can weather any shipment delays for at least 6-8 months.

Archived